Thursday, July 16, 2009

what is, or what will never be?

And it was not to be yesterday. I got a call from the rep on the bus, saying that R had been left behind for not having some medicine that was listed on his form. I know that they allow you to pick up your guests in the FAF office, so I offered that Kevin is in NYC and can bring him with him on the bus home. I checked and found he could leave after 3, but then we never heard a word from the people again. I called the rep around 4:45 only to find out she'd heard nothing more either. All I know is that the prescription was so outdated that it had to be renewed.

So we are back to the waiting game. The kids and I sort of just moped around because we had expected to have this fun new playmate, and now we had only ourselves once more. I fell asleep for a short time, and Megan and Brian decided to ride their bikes up to the tennis courts, where they were approached by the old man who hangs around there teaching lessons, and told that they should take lessons before they develop 'bad habits.' Then we had a nice dinner of grilled chicken sandwiches, and all four of us went to Wilbur's puppy class.

I'm really growing weary of puppy school. Wilbur is so different from the other three dogs, the two goldens and the mastiff. They are all very cute and some do funny things, but they always get distracted from one exercise to the next where Wilbur remains focused on the food all the time. I get bored and can't follow the teacher's lengthy instructions, and always have to be corrected. In my mind, my dog will grow no larger than a cat in the end. I want him to know a few basic commands, to come when I call him, and not to jump on and yap at my visitors. He's not going to be the problem that these bigger dogs will be if they don't become civilized. I think the class has been good for us, but I'm ready to be done with it. I only have to go one more time, next week, because the following week is the last week, and I'll be in Maryland with Megan, so Kevin will have to take him.

They also let the dogs be free to socialize at the end. The big dogs get into big dog play, and Wilbur hoards toys on a blanket that one of the other dogs' dad brought for himself to sit on. Finally, the female golden, whose parents videotaped her on her first night, started playing rough with Wilbur, and his fangs came out. He's a tough little monster.

In other news, they are now calling for rain for the next three days, starting later today. At least I can take Brian to his beach swim practice without worrying about R, but I don't know what will happen later. They have a meet tonight, but Megan's Y coach asked her to miss one meet a week to come to practices to prepare for Nationals. If R doesn't come and it doesn't rain, that will be easy enough, although I will have to get Brian 12 miles to the east and Megan 20 miles to the southwest, at basically the same time. There are many unknown variables for today. So I'll just head down and take my walk along the seawall before the rains come, while he swims. Megan is doing her assistant coaching at the pool club again. She was mentioned in the weekly paper - that team is undefeated this season! So stay tuned. Either we'll have news or we won't. Again.

No comments: