Monday, July 13, 2009

monday morning (again)

Seems like it is always Monday morning!! This morning, at least, and from now on, there is no early long course swim practice. So we get to sleep in. Wilbur has continued to have a little diarrhea, I don't know if it's still his giardia acting up or if he is just having puppy upsets from all of the various snacks he procures for himself.

This morning Megan had the school program, and Brian had to go to swim team practice at the beach club, because his camp is over. It was a beautiful day, but Wilbur with his belly and Brian with his red-sunburnt nose caused me to just come straight home. Well, not straight. I wanted to see if I could get a new beach umbrella (our brand new Costco one died already) and maybe a cheap lightweight lawn chair for the Cape May trip. There is a little beach shop on the highway, so I stopped to look around. Here is how that worked out:

The type of chair that I wanted was $17.99. Not terrible, but the chair was a little heavier than the one I had in mind. We browsed a bit and the woman came out and asked if we needed help. I said no, we were just looking. She was a somewhat haggard looking blonde woman with a cup of coffee in her hand. I went to the other side of her little shack and noticed a knife with a 12-inch blade, just lying across some boxes. I assumed she had been cutting open new merchandise and had left it out by mistake. So I called out to her, "excuse me, did you know that you left this giant knife out over here?"

Her response was a complete shock! She said, "of course I do, ma'am, this is my business! That knife is my best friend." (next she went to her chair, seeming to expect to see it there, and then mumbled, "where is it?" before realizing where she had left it.) I said, well it might end up being someone else's best friend if you leave it out like that. To which she replied that she had something much better in the back. I apologized for being concerned about her, and she said I should be sorry, because she was not concerned about me. I decided at that point that it was best if Brian and I left. I have to wonder about the safety of the customers with a merchant like that!!

And then we stopped at Sears and continued to build up Brian's school wardrobe. I now know his size in Lands' End and Brooks Brothers, as well as my favorite, Tommy Hilfiger. Although I will say the Brooks Brothers shirts have the best fit. But the Polo pants win, especially since I have managed to amass four pairs, all from Marshall's, at a cost of $13-20 each.

And now I have several unpleasant chores to do - stupid things like laundry, phone calls, making appointments, and straightening up. I am also on a quest to find two things that have gone missing: my digital camera and a bag of about ten different sunblocks, all unused. I remember where it was last and it is not there now. And as for the camera, it's nowhere to be found, although the memory stick is right here in the laptop. I wonder about the cleaning people (who, by the way, barely clean these days) but I hope that I'm mistaken. So every day, I have to do a little bit of searching for both of these missing items.

In other news, we all went to see Macbeth in the park last night. I didn't really remember the story, but it was fairly manageable to follow along, as long as I could hear the actors. Brian, exhausted from a day at the beach (they both volunteered from 7:30 till 1:30 at the beach helping out special populations for a day in the sun) and bewildered by the dialogue, passed out just as Lady Macbeth was about to throw her husband's cloak open and reveal his bloodied hands holding two blood-red daggers. Kevin seemed completely entranced until he turned to me and said, "I have no idea what's going on." I can hardly wait to see what they choose to perform next summer!

Oh, and the Fresh Air Fund. Still a bust for today. There now remains only a day and a half in which for us to be given the name of a child. I am feeling some remorse for not gleefully snapping C back up again. I would have preferred him to nobody, but I didn't want to ruin it for him if we didn't do it next year. And at this point, I have a lot lined up for the next week, and this might make for a not so relaxing vacation for our visitor, if we end up getting one at the last minute. I have heard they can sometimes tell you the day before, although I don't understand why they would do that

No comments: