Thursday, July 2, 2009

the rain goes on

So every day it rains, at least a little. It's like living in London, or in Forks, Washington. The grass is always wet and the cars are always spotted. Hair is always frizzy, but that's to be expected in the summer in NJ anyway. So far it hasn't dampened plans too much figuratively, although literally most things end up damp much of the time. The forecast for today was for rain for the morning, but now it seems pushed to the afternoon.

So Wilbur/Duke is still not sure of his name. After two weeks, I think we need to decide, because if it's confusing to me, I am sure he is baffled. The only consistency is Pompom, my name for him, to which he responds only if he thinks it means he will get food.

He's doing well in puppy school too, although he considers it little more than dinner out on the town. Last night I had no treats so I cut up a leftover rotisserie chicken, and he thought he was in puppy heaven. His little mouth was chattering at the very thought of his next bite. But then at the end of the class, when they 'socialize' the dogs by introducing them two at a time to each other, he ignored the other dogs, focusing only on the treat sacks on the hips of the two trainers. The other dogs, two goldens and a mastiff, all got excited and waggly when they met each other. Wilbur/Duke jumped on them a little, but kept trying to get past them to get at the food.

So we are like the oddballs. Even driving in, I have him on my lap because I can't figure out how else to transport him. When I put him in a small cat carrier, he puked. If I have help, he rides on their lap, but last night I did not. The others all travel safely - crates in the back, one couple has the wife ride in the back with the puppy. But all of these puppies will grow up to be bigger. The goldens are not much larger than Wilbur/Duke now, but they get bigger every week, and he stays about the same. My favorite thing last night was the new dog and her family - they videotaped the whole thing!

Brian is enjoying his tennis camp very much, and I like that he can walk there and back by himself, albeit through coyote populated woods! It's good to know that if I can't get home in time, he can get himself there and home again, because I'm forever driving Megan somewhere or other. Whatever happened to summer being relaxing? I haven't slept past 5:30 or 6 more than once since school got out!

In other news, I cleaned out E's room yesterday. She left it such a mess! I told her she could leave things but they had to be boxed and in the closet or basement. They were all over everything. I shoved them all into the closet, and stood her suitcase up against the wall. I went through the clothes she is getting rid of, and emptied her trash. All I have to do is strip the bed and remake it, but I'm waiting until I have a working washing machine to do that, which should be Tuesday. I hope. Kevin got his ride-on lawnmower yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to take pictures because I had to run off to puppy school. I'll be sure to get some and add them later on. Now, as always, must drive Megan to the pool club.

No comments: