Friday, March 27, 2009

An Update to the CollarTale

Well, the latest is that E's mom has decided to send the documentation back to the US after all. What happened was that last night I got wind of the fact that the agency here in the US was requiring E to have a signature on her state dept form, and in order to do this, she had to ship the whole thing back to the head office in Chicago. So her mom was hesitating to do this.

I did a little quick research and found that all colleges advise their students to get signatures before leaving the country, to ensure that they will get back in. Somehow, someone let E leave the country without this, despite repeated attempts on my part and on the part of her mom to make sure that she didn't leave without having what she needed to get back in. I am really mad, but I'm staying out of it so as not to jeopardize anything so they won't let her back in.

My best analysis goes like this: the agency in DK sold her medical insurance. This expempted her from having to buy the US insurance, which would have covered her for up to $50K per accident or illness. So the $30K would have been covered here in the US. However, I suspect they did not follow the proper protocol as far as documentation before she left the country. Not knowing any better, her mom and I assumed this had been taken care of.

However, I did get a little suspicious about something after a conversation with one of the reps, and I called her superior and was told that she should have everything she needed to get back in. Online I found a list, but this included the one form that had to have a signature that was less than one year old. But what I didn't understand was that if you are leaving the US, you must have a re-certification signature. In fact, this is not even written anywhere that I can find it on the state dept site, but I found it on almost every college website that does exchange programs.

Hindsight, of course, is 20/20 and now we can see all the things we should have done differently. In the meantime, E's mom has sent the documents to the US for the proper signatures. Hopefully this will be back within a week and will not hold up her planned return. It isn't looking likely that she will get to book a flight earlier than the 5th, right now I would say she is lucky to get back ON the 5th as planned. So we shall see.

In other news, I worked a full day today, as my assignment got changed, so that was four full days this week! Now I have nothing looming on the horizon whatsoever, what else is new...? Brian had a friend over for several hours, they were going to have a sleepover but then he suddenly found out that he had basketball. But at least they had some time, because the boys who neglect Brian were all out playing basketball in their driveway for hours tonight. Megan had practice for a couple of hours, and I did not have to drive either way, so Kevin and I just went to Applebee's for a quick dinner. Oh, and I had a message today confirming my hair appointment for tomorrow at 3. I didn't even know I had one! But I must get my hair colored soon. This is a cut, and I must have made it so I would have good hair in time for Florida!

No comments: