Wednesday, March 4, 2009

This and That and Woe is Me

So again, it's been a while. The weekend was unremarkable in the end. The student party was going fine, and in fact the kids were actually picking up the pace and beginning to interact, after a couple of hours of sitting silently in front of the TV, when Kevin's phone rang and it was the Doll. By now it was past 3:30 and we were a minimum of 40 minutes from home. She commanded that there was a prescription that we needed to pick up for her, and we had to get it by five. It turned out she does NOT have pneumonia, nor anything much, they are still saying 'the flu' (ok none of us had shots and we were not nearly as sick as she) and this was an anti-nausea medication. In retrospect, she could have hauled herself out to pick it up. But we had no choice other than to leave the party early. Megan got a ride home from practice, so we didn't even have to worry about her and could have stayed until the party wore itself out.

Which leads us into the next dilemma. The Y meet is next weekend in PA. Brian, E, and Molly were set to stay with the Doll, but if she is that sick, weak, and that much of a mess, that will never work out. So now I just don't even know what to do. We can bring Brian to PA but we can't bring E, she has to be in school for the science fair that Megan is missing. She might have someone to stay with, and Brian does for one night (Saturday), but I have to leave Thursday and won't be back till Sunday quite late.

We really only need someone to stay with them Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or someone they can stay with ... but at this late time I don't know if I can work it out. I can probably find a petsitter, but the problem is Thursday night. I know I can impose Brian on someone for two nights, but I hate to do it for three and don't even think I'd dare ask. So that's the latest crisis. It's not totally an option for me to stay home because I have to take Megan up there Thursday night. Kevin has to go up early, and Megan can't miss two days of school for this. Bad enough she misses one! So stay tuned for how this plays out as the week goes on. I'll have to get creative.

Last night I had a call from the new rep for the Fresh Air Fund. We discussed C and whether or not we would have him back. I told her all that had transpired and said we would like to, we don't want him kicked out of the Fund altogether but we're not sure what to do. She said she'd call me back in ten days but after sleeping on it for just the one night, I can't see how I can NOT have him back. If anyone deserves a break, it's a kid like that. So I think we will have him, the week is in mid-July.

And so we had a snow day on Monday, followed by a delayed opening yesterday. On Monday afternoon/evening, our brilliant district powers-that-be posted on the website that school would be open and state testing would be conducted as planned. Somewhere along the line, they changed their minds. Around 10:00, Megan found out that school was opening 90 minutes late, and since I had been thrown a bone and was working yesterday, I got a call as well. But many people didn't have that luxury, and, having seen the initial post, got up and hauled their poor kids in, only to find out about the poorly publicized change in plans. And now I am off again today. Yesterday she called me with what I thought would be jobs. It turned out to be JOB. One half day, tomorrow. And during the call, she told me she had had nineteen calls out. Nineteen, and I got a half day. I am definitely 'B' list. I don't understand it, but it makes me mad.

So in other news, E is not taking the state testing so she doesn't have to be in until 10:30 all week. The snow is still here and the roads are intermittently covered in icy patches, although they're much better than they were yesterday morning when the side streets were just one solid sheet of ice. Someone around the block has constructed a giant snowman, probably about 15-20 feet tall. After school yesterday they made him a hat, buttons, and a scarf. He looks great! And tonight is the pasta party for the states swimmers. It's being held at our church, and I have to make baked ziti. As with any group that we have accepted responsibility for, I'm anxious for them to leave the place in good order!

No comments: