Friday, March 6, 2009

Dawn of the New Day

So yesterday I finally did what I have been wrestling with for nearly three years: I spoke to another parent about the bullying that's been going on with Brian. For three years he has been ostracized and teased, with occasional periods of acceptance thrown in just to confuse him. Lately, though, it's gotten worse, from the gum in the hair incident to some other things that have been going on. So I did finally just suck it up and talk to one of the parents. The talk went well, but today will be the day that shows what the true outcome will be. Brian wanted to avoid the bus today so I drove him to school.

In addition to his being picked on, some of the kids have been doing some bad things and blaming them on Brian and another boy. This was the last straw, when I heard about it, I didn't feel I had much choice. Then, after my talk, Brian came home and said he had gotten into trouble on the bus. The bus driver told him and another boy (the other one they pick on, interestingly enough) that they were the worst kids on the bus. What was the crime? Well one boy farted and refused to admit it. Another boy opened the window. I guess it must have smelled awful, because the bus driver assumed it was a stink bomb. One of the other boys mocked her and she didn't realize it, and almost threw the whole bunch of them off the bus to be picked up by parents. Part of the problem when there are many who gang up on few is that certain less perceptive adults will then believe that the few are in fact the ones causing the trouble.

And onto the Doll. Yesterday she requested a chicken. I took it over, and she looked healthy enough aside from the fact that she's shuffling around in her cave in the darkness, all holed up with the TV, doing nothing towards recovery. So I still don't know what will happen for us next weekend. I am still hoping she'll have a miraculous recovery, but I think I'll send them over with a can of Lysol and plenty of airborne!

Today I have a PM work assignment. E again has to be in school by 10:30, and I don't have to be to mine until noon. I think I will actually have lunch immediately upon my arrival, and then 2 1/2 hours with the 5th graders. I've been in this class before, shouldn't be too bad. ::knock wood!!:: I did find out yesterday that they may be doing away with the sub caller and replacing her with an automated system. I'm not sure how that will work out for me, better or worse, but it may be part of the reason they seem to be rotating the list so much. Will this mean that the sub just hired yesterday can snatch up the best jobs? I'm going to have to investigate this. At least it means that the more dedicated subs will at least get to work. Or it could end up being like dialing into a radio station during a contest. I guess we'll find out.

In other news, we have no major plans for this weekend, just getting ready to head out next weekend. The kids all have schoolwork to finish up, and especially Megan, with her missing Friday and the science fair. She has to make sure her project is extra-good for the in-class presentation, because that's where the bulk of her grade is coming from. I have a headache today because I was awakened, first by a dream that my alarm clock was blaring "for some reason I can't explain, I know St. Peter will call my name ..." and then Puff heard me stirring and hopped up onto my headboard, fell off, and shredded my scalp.

No comments: