Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday Frenzy

Here we are in Pennsylvania. Kevin came out early yesterday and Megan and I arrived on my four new tires at 8:30pm. Yesterday I did nothing but run around trying to get organized for the trip out here. I had to get Brian's things ready for two separate hosts, get Molly and her things ready, and make sure my car was travel-worthy, which apparently involved four new tires, a new something-belt, and a bill for $1000. But we made it.

The meet began early this morning and it went pretty well. Megan didn't swim a best time in the 200 free although at first it seemed like she was going to - her 100 split was a 56, which would normally mean her time would be a 1:56 or better, but she ended up with a 1:57 instead. Then she swam the 100 back, and then a best time in the 1000, but not quite fast enough to qualify for Florida. She can still swim it there, but in time trials, which are held in the heat of the midday sun, after all the other events have concluded. It can be brutal.

But with her 200 time, she requalified for next year unless they make some change. These new suits are enabling more and more swimmers to qualify, which may cause them to have to take drastic measures with the cut times. Although from what I have read, the suits themselves my be regulated more closely within the next year.

Right now she and I are back at our hotel, and she is asleep. We didn't get out of the pool building until 3, having been there since 7, and have to be back at 5:15 for finals. She'll swim the 200 free again, and also some relay, not sure which one. Then to dinner, then to bed, then back to the pool for the sunrise swim at 7 again! After that, it should be an easier day because she has no midday events, so she can come back and sleep, hopefully for finals in the 500, and then Sunday should also be a much lighter day. She has the 100 and MAY qualify for finals, but if she does not, we get to go home after the morning session. So I do have mixed feelings on that wish! Her 100 time is already good enough for Nationals, so that's not a concern, although best times are always good.

In other news, Brian and E spent last night at the Doll's, and E had all sorts of mishaps with the project she procrastinated for three months. But I am sure she pulled it off, she did say it went fine. Brian called me just now to confess that his progress report arrived, and it said that he was missing homework in one class and has inconsistent test scores in another. I am so tired of these things on his reports. And I must now sign off because I am suffering from severe carpal tunnel pains as a result of Kevin's bizzare laptop. He has our good one at the pool for some reason. (disclaimer: post not proofread)

No comments: