Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Results are In...

And she made it back for finals. I wish I had known that the best way to motivate Megan to swim faster was to tell her please do not. She swam nearly a personal best time at prelims, which was almost as fast as she swam when she wore the LZR suit at the December meet, and she was 'tapered' back then. So she came back and swam a half a second faster, which is a lot in a 100 yard race. she came in 17th but only because you can't advance from the heat you're in at finals. She and the girl who came in 16th probably really had about the 9th and 10th fastest times in finals. And that's out of about 100 girls. She is excited for Florida now.

So after finals we made it home in pretty good time, despite my having left the gas tank danerously close to empty, hoping I'd make it back to New Jersey before I ran out, so I wouldn't have to hang my head in shame at the pumps, the likes of which I haven't had to face in over 15 years. I couldn't bear the humiliation of having to ask for help pumping gas, or to look like a prima donna by using full serve when all the rest are pumping their own, simply because I haven't ever encountered the high-tech pumps of the 1990's. Back in the 80s I knew to pay the attendant, then just go and lift the latch, drop in the pump, and squeeze. Now I'm afraid it may be so easy that I wouldn't be able to figure it out! But we made it to the Turnpike service area anyway.

I had turned down a half day of work so I could take Megan in late and get some shopping done. After school, as I waited for E to call for a ride home, Brian came down and said the high school was on the phone for me. ?? It turned out to be the trainer, saying E had fallen and perhaps had a broken collarbone, and I should get it xrayed. Five hours later, we were home with no more than a sling and an alarming rediograph of the carnage inside her shoulder. We were instructed to see an ortho doc today, and I turned down another day of work. Our appointment, the best I could get, I guess noone cares if you walk around in agony with a bone fragment in your shoulder, if at 3:20 today. Stay tuned.

In other news, Puff is happy to curl up and purr next to me, which promotes inefficiency because I want to stay with her. It has taken me two years almost to get her to do this, and I can't sacrifice the luxury. Oh well, never mind. As I wrote that, the other doctor called and I had to get up and she ran away. We now have an appointment at 2 with a doctor who works with the schools. More later. Not proofread.

No comments: