Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A New Beginning

So it begins. Barack Obama is in, the Eagles are out, and Brian is accepted into his first choice school. I called them yesterday to tell them he wanted to enroll, and they basically said, "great! stop by later today with $300!" So I stopped by with a check for $300. "Great!," they said, "stop by on Thursday with another for $1000!!" :-O And so I will.

I sent an email to one school telling them he won't be attending, I hope they can find his name, as they sent the letter to 'Brianna'. I'll drop the card in the mail to tell the other school tomorrow, and they can cross him off as well. I feel a little bad about that one, but I hope and believe this one is the best we can offer him.

Meanwhile, Megan has gotten some light press coverage for her performance at Sunday's meet, and she also found out that both times (the 200 and 500 free) were records for her high school. So that was some excitement. I don't know if she will get anything other than the morning announcement yesterday, but last year someone we were sitting next to at the awards ceremony for winter sports got a nice plaque for breaking a relay record with the winter track team. But swimming seems to be second class. The yearbook listed athletes in other sports who made second- and third-team in the local paper's regional selections, but Megan made first team and got no mention at all.

Oh, and the new exercise bike. I rode it. For ten minutes. I nearly died. I don't know what is wrong with it. It's too hard! I am not weak on bikes, so I think the tension is just too tight. I emailed the manufacturer, but they haven't responded and I am losing hope that they will. I guess I'll give it another try, maybe tomorrow. Maybe if I do it enough it will loosen up. I don't know. Either that or it will do me in. One of us is going to win this battle. I'm just not sure which one.

I worked a half day yesterday and all day today. I was supposed to work tomorrow morning, but the job got cancelled. The cleaning woman is coming, so I sort of hope not to work because I have laundry to put away, or at least, to hide. I haven't started it at all yet. I have another half day on Friday morning. This has been a rough week, very fragmented. All of these jobs were given to me in a call at 6:30 yesterday morning. I was enjoying the evening calls. I don't know why I didn't get one, the other subs in the building that day said they had been called the night before!

Anyway, in other news, Brian is having trouble with his new contacts. First he told me that his eyesight had gone back to bad, but when I made him wear his glasses for a day, he notes improvement, so it must be the Focus Dailies. I don't know how this can be, they are the same brand, just stronger, as he has always worn. I told him to leave them out for another day and see what happens Friday. Otherwise I will have to call the doctor and see what he thinks. Our only other alternative is longer-wearing ones, and I just don't trust him to keep them clean. Molly has grossness on her which is alarming, but her appointment is Saturday at the vet, she needs her rabies vax so she can get her license with the town. It is sad to say, but this is likely her last. I don't know if goldens generally make it to 16, but even if she does, I think I'll forego an additional vaccine at that point.

No comments: