Friday, January 16, 2009

Just When I Thought it was Going to be Easy...

Well, my mind was pretty close to made up. I was giving it another week just for the heck of it, then I was going to send the check in to the high school with the laptops and the block scheduling. Well. Not to be so easy. Yesterday I subbed for a teacher whose son goes to the Big Wait List School (BWLS). Today I was in a school with a principal whose two sons graduated from and loved BWLS. Just at the very end of my lunch, when I had no more time to talk on the phone, I checked messages and had a call from their school nurse.

At the end of my day, I returned her call and she told me that they had referred my letter to her, and she wanted to ask a few questions and let me know that if Brian is to be accepted, and if he comes, he must be flexible and not always use a laptop. I told her that we would understand this, and we discussed his phsyical limitations as far as gym class, and she seemed surprised that he does gym and everything else normally. Perhaps I overdid my description! I think when one mentions 'brain' they begin to over-imagine the unseen applicant. So I came home, and by the time I got here, there was another message on the machine, offering him a spot!

Now, after all the talk he's done about why he might NOT want to go, he suddenly wants it more than anything; laptop or no laptop. Of course, we will have to purchase for him a laptop, but that won't necessarily be a big and fancy one. He really only needs to be able to type and email files. Anything else can still be done at home, and it needs to be lightweight. I am most excited at the prospect of his being able to walk to school, but the school comes with a hefty price tag, so that will be a sacrifice.

Otherwise, Megan's big meet is Sunday. Someone had told me that one team was faking times to make their swimmers faster, and one was going to be seeded ahead of Megan in the 500, but this turned out to be totally untrue. She's seeded second in the 200, and first in the 500, and there is another girl who shares the same positions in reverse, in the same two events. And either event could go either way. It will be interesting!

In other news, I did work many days this week, so that's also a good thing. with Monday as a holiday, there will be no work, and I have to make sure I'm available to for driving to the Y on a few days next week, which is going to throw me off. At this point, I have to say that it would be easier for me to drop out of the carpool than it is to stay in it, as I'm juggling all these other schedules at the same time, and I am the one who has to backtrack to pick up the other kids. They just come into our neighborhood and pick her up, so it takes them about three extra minutes, but takes me at least ten to go and get them - which is really hard when I get out of work at 3:15 and they all have to be to the Y by 3:40.

(disclaimer: post NOT PROOFREAD!!!)

No comments: