Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Monday

So, the Eagles are out. No more history for the City of Philadelphia this year. I guess it's good enough, with tomorrow being the next biggest thing, with the inauguration happening and all eyes on Barack Obama. But at least Megan did well at her meet. Not as well as last year, but that's really tough to top.

There's a newspaper reporter whose predictions we call the 'kiss of death', the one who covers the local high school swimming. Sure enough, Megan and the other girl each traded their events, winning only the ones in which the other had been his predicted winner. This was good for us, because Megan's win came first, in the 200 free, so we knew she was bringing home a win no matter what. The 500 was such a close race, but the other girl is a senior, and she had nice long arms, and I knew that if Megan couldn't put some distance between them towards the end, that she would be out-touched.

The difference in their times was less than half a second; but not in favor of Megan. Their times were very good, though, regardless of finishing position; they were personal best times for both of them. They will meet again once, potentially twice, at the bigger championship meet in February, and possibly at the dual meet between their two teams in a couple of weeks.

Brian still asserts his desire to attend the Big Tough School, so that's where he will go. As long as he still feels this way in the morning tomorrow, I'll be calling them with the news, and I'm sure they will be informing me as to just how much money we have to surrender to them immediately. Those who were initially accepted had to get some sort of deposit in by last Thursday. I don't know if we'll owe that, or if we head straight into the tuition deposits. At least the school is a short walk from the house. This way he'll have more time to get started on the hours of homework I expect him to have each night!

I also read their handbook and it does state that laptops are at the discretion of the individual teachers, but they are allowed in the school. So I don't think they wanted to make a big deal out of allowing Brian to be different, but actually it may not turn out to be a problem. I hope. Check back in September for more.

In other news, today I plan to ride my new exercise bike, shower, and start some laundry going. I expect the cleaning crew this Thursday and would like to have the laundry room free of debris. I am also out of clothes to wear! The kids all have homework they can work on, and there's swim practice tonight. Kevin is home, but my Explorer battery died at the meet yesterday when we sat in the car for an hour listening to the radio, and I didn't realize that the headlights were also on. :X So we had to get it jumped in the snow late in the evening, and drive it home. It might start back up again today, but it might not. The mechanic told me my battery was weak the last time I got the oil changed, so I might as well replace it. And I think I should also invest in a pair of jumper cables. The car is now five years old. We were lucky to find someone there with cables in their car! Kevin has a pair, but they were at home, in his truck.

No comments: