Thursday, May 1, 2008

Another Day, Another Dollar

So the electrician came today to tell me about installing the lights. I am feeling a little woozy. First of all, I called another one already. Kevin wants me to return the lights. The first thing the guy said was, "do we want to do this with or without a permit?" Then he proceeded to tell me what he wanted to do, all the while running electrical cable just six inches below ground. He claims that to do it with a permit, it would have to be 18 inches. But then he said something about 16, and then he mentioned that some "guys interpret the code differently, and they just do 12." =:-O

Anyway, those were the options: do it illegally and, well, be illegal, or do it with a permit and have to go down 18", in which case, he can't be responsible for sprinkler lines. Hmm. This is why I think Kevin should always stay home when these people come. Anyway, I found the name of the guy who ran the electrical wiring for the pool filter and heater and left a message for him. I know I will trust him, he's done it before. Also, he works with the pool company, and he'd never jeopardize that. But, will he return the call? We can also ask the opinion of the landscape architect, but he may hesitate to give us too much information for fear we'll use his suggestions and not use the garden center for the job.

I have to work tomorrow. I am not terribly looking forward to it, but at least I know where I'm going. Back to the resource room with the kid who looked at me like I spoke Greek when I said there were 36 inches in a yard. I expect to work most Fridays, if I haven't said that before. All of the teachers are using up their time, and taking three day weekends.

Update: I have returned from a long break on the telephone, so my segue will not be smooth. Also, I finished my glass of wine during this time. Ok, back on track. After working tomorrow, I must spend the weekend preparing the house for the Fresh Air visit. It is a mess right now, but I sort of figure why bother, if I go to too much trouble now, I'll only end up having to do it again. It was a mite embrassing when the electrician came in, but, hey, he was talking about drilling holes in my walls, cutting through my sprinkler lines, and only burying electrical cable six inches below the ground, alongside my pool. He told me that the 5' from the pool rule for lights is just because they don't want you IN the pool CHANGING the lightbulb. I know I am stupid, but I'm not THAT stupid.

Anyway, the only other thing is that the banquet book won't go away. Today I got an email from the printer, and he wants to be paid. I, of course, have nothing to do with this. I asked him if he had sent an invoice, and, if so, to whom. He says he isn't sure, his bookkeeper has sent several. Perhaps to the attention of "Jane or Tim". Huh? I thought we were disorganized! I told him to get me an invoice and I will get it to the proper person. (Who, by the way, is 'Tim', but he does have a last name.)

So, in other news...Brian is done with his standardized testing. Megan is going to make a Spanish delicacy on Sunday night. I don't know what it will be but I hope it won't ruin our chances of being selected as a Friendly Town family. My hair is still cut, and my friend Denise has been offered a job at the Y. I have also told her I will invite her to view the blog, but first I have to go through and make sure I haven't written anything bad about her! Heh heh. Brian's baseball practice was cancelled for tonight, so that was good. And I am trying to get on Megan about writing her essay to volunteer at the school's extended year program for the summer. She needs 100 hours to be in the National Honor Society. And, I am sure, a certain average. Hopefully, she will still have that, now that she has gotten two A's. :-)

No comments: