Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It's Gotta Be a Strange Twist of Fate

And so I had to work today. I was not so much looking forward to it, four nice days off in a row, and now to go back to a third grade class of which I am not particularly fond. They have a very strict teacher, and they always sort of break down when she isn't there. But, I sucked it up...and for the most part they were glad, or at least not surprised, to see me. Just two major mishaps: the boy who fell backwards in his chair and hit his head on the rolling bookcase, and the girl who got on the bus when she was supposed to be picked up by car; and her bus left before the mom realized it. Oh well. Noone told me she wasn't supposed to get on the bus, or, in fact, what she was supposed to do at all! I am sure they will just say "she had a substitute."

Anyway, the odd thing is that the principal at school has been out quite a bit. Rumor has it she had a hospital stay a couple of weeks ago, when she was out and unreachable for the entire week. Well, when a principal is out, there must be an administrator in the school for arrival and dismissal of the students. I noticed a tall, dapper looking gentleman who I had never seen before, and assumed he must be the substitute principal. I wondered who he was, and thought that perhaps the principal of the high school. So I asked a woman I have seen around for years, who works in the before-care, but also happens to be a board member. Well. Knock me over with a feather. This man was none other than the man we have been trying to reach regarding the exchange student approval! I hurried over.

He was extremely nice and open to the idea. I explained the whole thing to him, and he said that he had grown up as one of six, and they often had exchange students in their home. He even asked if we would give them back one of ours!!! Haha! I should have asked if he had one in mind. But I didn't. He gave me his card, with all of his information on it, again gave me the excuse of how busy the other woman has been with the testing assessments, and we went our separate ways. I called the regional manager, knowing I could get hold of her as the local rep works during the day, and gave her all the info, and the details he had requested. She said she would get on it.

Later in the day, she told me she had spoken again to his secretary, and was again put off, and also that she spoke to the secretary of the woman we keep being pushed onto, and she was quite rude. So, I fell to discouragement again. However...not to be outdone, the local rep scored some victory of her own. Just by chance, she called this guy to follow up, and he actually picked up his own phone!!! So she got him, and he was very kind to her as well, and he told her to go ahead and send the packet, and so she is! It is most exciting. And to think I was on the fence about this whole exchange student thing at first. As soon as they make something difficult to attain, that's when it seems to be the most attractive.

So that was the news of the day. I woke up and the day was not going so well. I let Molly out, and Wren escaped. Damn cat! She's been doing that a lot, but it was 7:45 and it's lawn cutting day. Nobody else would be home until Megan got home at 2:30, and the stupid fool would be out all day. The other night she had some sort of skirmish with another cat, and now noone would be home to protect her. Then I dropped off Brian at school and went to Dunkin Donuts, and it was packed! I was in such a funk! My car was saying "check fuel cap", but I have not even gotten gas since Friday. All was just not well. But then! I came out of Dunkin Donuts, and there on the ground, there it was! It was a heads-up penny!!! I thought, I can use all the luck I can get today! And I grabbed it. So maybe it worked its wonders. Who knows.

Anyway that was that. Today was a hellish sort of day. I had already volunteered to drive both ways for the swimming carpool, which on Wednesdays entails a half-hour drive to the beach. Normally I enjoy this, and I will walk and have myself a nice glass of wine at Stewart's by the boardwalk. However, tonight there was a rescheduled baseball game for Brian's travel team. Well, I didn't realize that this was a playoff game, and a makeup for a game that had gone one inning in a previously rained out event. So here is what I did: picked up the carpool boys at 4:45. Drove them to Long Branch for the 5:30 practice. Drove home, got here at 6. Took Brian to his game by 6:15 (half an hour late for warm-ups). Left him there. No other team at the time. Drove back to beach, got there at 6:45. Waited 15 minutes for the kids, then drove them all back to their homes. Went to see Brian play right field as their team was mercied in only three innings of play (add to the inning played the other time for four innings) of which Brian played exactly ... one. Fun with Jane.

The good news? They're done for the season (the travel team). Little League has their second game on Saturday. They almost won yesterday, in fact. Brian not only had a hit, he also scored! It was most exciting. But the coach switched everyone up the last inning and the other team scored, and they beat us by one. It's double elimination, so if they lose on Saturday, they're out. Ironically, they are called the Mets and they played the Marlins; I heard on the radio that yesterday the Mets beat the Marlins, 5-3. Unfortunately, in our world, the Marlins beat the Mets, 6-5.

In other news, Kevin is still in Denmark. He returns on Friday. I am working again tomorrow (4th grade) and on Friday ('floating' as of now) and Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week. After that, it may be done. (heh heh ... one can only hope!) Megan got her classes for next year, and holy God...I could never survive a schedule like that: Geometry, Pre-Calc, Chemistry, English, History, Spanish 4 (all Honors). She is doubling up on the math this year, so she can do something later (I forget what) but she has no electives. However, when you do it this way, you have an easier time your senior year. So let's hope our exchange student (more on her later) is as serious of a student as all of her application answers say she is!

No comments: