Friday, May 23, 2008

Finally Friday!

Well, at long last the week is ending, and it's Memorial Day weekend! (and it's 50 degrees in the sun...) I just finished almost a full week of subbing - although none of the days were bad, they can still get exhausting. And today they had a special luncheon for the teachers and nobody bothered to invite the subs, or at least they didn't invite me. I did enjoy having the teachers' room all to myself, but it's a bit insulting and degrading when they do things like that. In the past, they would always tell me to stop in and have something. But nobody mentioned a word of it. Also, I am picking up on increasing tensions amongst the staff, and I don't really know what's behind it, nor do I want to be involved. As a sub, I really just have to get along with everyone.

One of the teachers came in and had words with another one, right in front of me, today. I don't know what it was all about but she said, "don't you have enough teachers in here to do this now ..." and he said, "first of all one of them is a sub, and one is a para". Guess which one I was? I didn't know I was incapable of performing basic teaching functions; I'm not sure what she wanted done, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't rocket science. I know he didn't mean it against me, he was making excuses, but it pretty much summed up the whole day. Although I must add that some teachers are wonderful and kind all of the time. But some who used to be are not so much anymore, and I fear they're just all getting sucked into this vortex of cosmic dissonance.

So, on my prep, I called the woman at the district offices about the exchange students, and was told that the person I needed to speak to was out and would return my call. I said, well she hasn't returned any calls in over a week, and I got the song and dance of how busy she is. I explained (stretched, if you will) that we had already lost one student due to this delay, and we were hoping not to have to have that happen again. I doubt it made any difference. It's been four hours, and no return call. I did get an email that the cute little Russian girl was placed the same night that I first saw her profile, so at least I don't have to worry that I made the wrong choice, since it appears not to have been mine to make after all. Again, we wait.

Meanwhile, I have to find four photographs to attach to the agency's host family application that make us seem like a fun family that people would want to join. Sadly, I am finding this to be quite an elusive task!!! I can't just send all Cape May pictures, as this person may never come to Cape May. The pictures are supposed to show us with family and friends in places we live or places where we often go...I have so many pictures of brunches and dinners with the Doll, and bad blurry shots of the kids going off the diving board, or standing around holding badminton rackets and looking all scraggly. No good candid winter pictures, and that's the main time that they'd be experiencing. I'm going to have Megan search her facebook pictures. There's a whole section where people tag you in pictures, and they show up on your page. I don't know if she can snag one, but she can always ask to have one sent to her.

Well, on that note, I should go and do something before I lose all motivation and the sun sets. Kevin said he would leave work around 3 today; he is not going in on Tuesday, but he is leaving that day for Denmark. And, in other news, he did call the attorney and she gave him the same answer she gave me a year ago: she would pull the file and get back to him. This time, I think I will follow up in less than a year's time. We have no big plans for the weekend, no baseball, just Kevin's softball on Sunday and Megan is babysitting Sunday morning at church and Sunday night for the boys next door. I guess we will try to get down to the beach at some point, but they are saying it will be a bit chillier by the water. Which should be common sense, so if they're saying it, that must mean significantly cooler. I'm working next week on Wednesday and Thursday, but the way things are going, probably Friday too. Someone always wants their Fridays off!

No comments: