Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Little News

Well, there is new news, as you may have guessed. First, the Fresh air lady did get back to me, and she told me that our references had wonderful things to say about us. (I must have paid them well) She said that she has forwarded our info to New York, so we are just awaiting a match.

Second, after spending nearly TWO HOURS on the phone yesterday morning with the woman from PIE, we have put on hold a different girl from CCI instead of the four PIE candidates. I don't know why, but I prefer to work with them. The PIE candidates were Russian and German girls, and two of them appealed to me; one little Russian girl in particular. However, the girl from CCI instantly won over Kevin and Brian. Megan agreed to her as well. She is definitely going to be a good kid - my concern is will she be TOO great? But I suppose it is a chance we take with any of them. I was so set on J2, that I would have had to adjust my thinking anyway, to any new person. This one will fit our lifestyle the best, I think. So now for school approval, hopefully.

A little quick background: this girl, we will call her E, is just six months older than Megan, so she should also be in the same grade, but legitimately, where the others were much older. She is from Denmark, which Kevin likes, and in the "Dear Family" letter, they didn't white out the names of her father's companies, so Kevin was able to see that they are both customers of the bank. Also, for three years when she was younger, her family lived in Connecticut. In her letter, she says that she so didn't want to go at first, that she insisted on getting a new bike and a kitten (she was then 8). It seems she did, because she has two cats, and one is from the U.S. She is attractive, but tall (yikes) and thin. She says she likes sports, music, friends, and lists a bunch of other issues such as debating, politics, social dancing, and ::gasp:: dating. (well, at least she is honest). Like J2, she writes extremely well, even for a natural English speaking person. So we will see if we get te approval. supposedly she is on hold 'pending school approval' so let's see if we can get that before tomorrow. Ha.

So, that is the news. In other news, I am working again today with the special ed second and third graders. I am very excited because we are going to see the play put on by the drama club at the other high school. These kids are really fun to be with, although they can also be a handful with their assorted issues. And tomorrow I have the resource room for the day. I will welcome the three day weekend, although I wasted much of yesterday waiting for email from PIE, which didn't come until 6pm. Brian's rec baseball team won their second game last night, and I am also waiting to hear from my real estate attorney.

This should be an issue for another blog, but I will sum it up quickly: when we bought our house, our seller apparently hadn't been able to prove that she had paid off an old mortgage. I guess she must have refinanced, or consolidated, or something, after her husband died. So she had some paperwork, to prove she had paid off what she knew about, but there was an older loan, and she did not have that dcumentation. I knew nothing about this until I ran into her a year or so ago, and she told me our attorneys were withholding $3000, and she didn't have these documents. Why this falls on me I don't understand. She needs to go to court and get them; but her attorney is not helping her. Mine never followed up with me on that call, although they did tell me this "happens all the time, and is really no big deal", and I forgot about it. Well, this seller also ran a bus company (perhaps into the ground, I get all kinds of odd mail and once a subpoena guy showed up at the door) and the other day there was a letter from the IRS addressed to that company in our box. I have again emailed the attorney to be sure that we get this issue taken care of. I'd hate to try to sell our house, only to find out there is some issue attached to it that doesn't even concern us!

No comments: