Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hump Day

Why are the days going by so slowly? It isn't like I am enduring any great hardships, and surely I don't want to wish away time. But with the opening of the beach club just two weeks away, and summer right on its heels - five more weeks of school and all that - it just seems like the days are dragging by! Maybe it's the weather, which just seems to feel like a three month long March, particularly in comparison to the same time last year.

And so last night I got a call to work. I find I am not in the mood to go in, when I go there mostly the teachers all know exactly how many days are left until the end of the year, and they all roll their eyes and go "ugh" at everything that happens. But the class I was asked to be in is one of my favorites, the small special ed class with three paras and the best lesson plans I think I have ever been given. Plus, I had promised myself I would say yes to any calls, so I did it. Of course, it was a beautiful day and I was mostly inside, but we did have recess (only one fight, and one scraped up forehead and elbow) and we went out to release butterflies in the afternoon, although the poor things were much happier to stay in their boxes on their twigs and orange slices. Who can blame them?

After school, Megan had her beach practice down in Long Branch, which was very nice. I took my ipod, dropped off Megan and one boy from the carpool, and drove into the heart of the boardwalk, then went for a 40 minute walk. Then I came back and ate french fries, a chicken sandwich, and drank wine. I bough burgers for everyone, even the carpool boy. (Well, Kevin did - hehe - I used his debit card.) When I got home all my shrubs were crying out for water. I'm still tweaking that layout issue. I told Kevin if he won't show interest I will just go and buy them all myself, now that I have discovered these superhuman plant-lifting powers. Lately I have moved from shrub and perennial to tree obsessions. Particularly, I want a Dogwood and a Japanese Maple.

No more work lined up for the week, but Kevin will be in Texas and I have lots of carpooling to do tomorrow, so hopefully I can have the day off, or at least the afternoon. Kevin is working from home on Friday, because he has an appointment to get his blood test results (first time in quite a while since he takes these mega-vitamins, and then his doctor mysteriously left the practice without telling any of his patients!) and then they are coming to open the pool. Hard to believe, and it will be cool and rainy all weekend. Vacuum practice!

In other news, no news from the Fresh Air people, but I have been sent a few profiles of potential exchange students. I was poring through the help wanted ads, as I do every Sunday, when I happened upon an ad for an exchange student placement agency. I tried to google them, and ended up on some other sites, and I filled out an information form because I was trying to see the profiles of potential students. Then a woman called me, and we talked for a while, and she has been sending me profiles of students! There is one girl from Denmark who sounds intriguing, but it's a ten month program, so that's a big commitment! Plus, she would be in the same grade as Megan; and what if they didn't hit it off? Oh yeah, and Wren. She puked up her breakfast this morning. I must get her in to the vet to see why she is so skinny. Maybe it's just her nature. I hope so.

No comments: