Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hump Day Blog

Yes, it is midweek at last, and finally a sunny day, if a bit cool and windy. I think they are predicting more rain, so I want to get out and move some things around in the yard. I'm running out of spots for new things, so I bought a small holly and am going to replace the deer-ravaged small euonymus, and bring that poor thing inside the fence to a spot where it can try to recover. It isn't doing as well as its larger also-ravaged cousins, who are sprouting new greenery left and right.

But I woke up with a headache today. I don't know why, as is often the case. Maybe from lifting the 40 pound bags of potting soil yesterday, or from the stress of driving the Monster Truck to Englishtown for the cheap shrubs and annuals. I took advil and went for a walk, it didn't hurt too much, but then my mouth felt cold in the shower, which usually accompanies a migraine attack. So I drank a coke and now I'll pop a couple more advil before I go dig in the holly.

Speaking of the holly, I have concerns about my beloved holly. As a female, she must have a male nearby, or she will not bear fruit. Last year, she was full of pretty red berries. At the nursery, all the hollies have them by now. Mine is abloom in pretty white flowers, but I don't see any berries! I am going to inspect more closely, but I may have to invest in a young man to keep the ladies happy. The other holly, the one that will take the place of the ill-fated euonymus, is also a little girl, all adorned in red. So she may become sad and lonely next year, too, if I don't act soon. I should have grabbed one yesterday when I could have done so for $15. It will end up costing me at least twice that now, that was my last trip to Englishtown this year.

Finally, my biggest news of the day. I got my hair cut. I was tired of the ridiculously long locks, most unbecoming to someone of a certain age, such as myself. Trapped in the quandary of "where to go?" I decided to go with the cheapest and simplest option, the woman who last cut Megan's hair. So I got a haircut for half the price, and she seems to have done a reasonably good job at salvaging the bang-up bangs. They have grown out quite a bit, but now they taper into the rest of the hair. I'll report later on how I like the cut when I have styled it myself.

In other news, it's been a quiet couple of days. Brian winds down with the testing, and Megan is back to the Y. She's babysitting tonight and again on Saturday, for a new family then. On Sunday, she is attending training for the Bottlecappers, a group of high school students who travel around to the younger children and teach them about not drinking or doing drugs. I'm always unable to comprehend how the group got their name. It makes me think of those little candy bottlecaps that taste like root beer, coke, or orange soda.

No comments: