Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Wasting Space

Yep. That is what I'm doing this week, just wasting space. I've been catching up on all the chiari blogs and carepages that I follow, two in particular are very alarming. It's never good when a child goes in for surgery, but when they aren't recovering well and the doctors don't have any idea why - that's when it's really bad. Just as I typed that, I got an email alert to an update on another little girl. Her joints are so swollen that they don't work right anymore, as a result of arachnoiditis, which is her body's inflammatory reaction to all the surgeries she has had. It's incurable, and causes a lifetime of pain. Right now she is in the hospital waiting for an umpteenth shunt revision. Her mother writes that she is more upset than ever before.

So on Sunday night, I turned down that sub call, and she has not called again. I will work tomorrow, but that will be it for me for the week. Maybe she'll call with some more. I don't mind the down time, I even went for a couple of walks, but I would like to have the paycheck.

Brian has a baseball game tonight, the first time he will play with the Little League team. It should be interesting, he missed their first game on Saturday while we were away, and kids told him that his team got clobbered. I don't know why, but perhaps will find out tonight.

It's nice not having to drive to swimming, but weird. Megan decided not to do spring track after all, since she has already missed almost half the season. The coach won't know her, and she probably won't get many opportunities to run. She certainly doesn't need to do it for exercise, as spring training at the Y starts in just another week (actually it starts Monday, but she doesn't have to go for an extra week since she went to Nationals). I'm still waiting for them to post the 2009 Qualifying Times so we will know if she is guaranteed a trip back next year, or if she's going to have to swim her butt off again to beat the new times.

On that note, she has stayed after school to catch up on some missed work, so I must go fetch her and prepare to shuttle Brian to his ortho appointment and thenback for baseball. Stats to follow!

In other news: Molly's leg seems ok today. She had pulled off almost all of the fur, but she hasn't tried to go at it at all since yesterday. I'll leave her helmeted anyway. Kevin continues the Battle of the Moles, half of one now lies bloodied in the middle of the street and our yard looks like it's strewn with mousetraps. They came around and picked up the leaves and itchy balls today, but we didn't know, so our yard is still littered with junk on top of all the metal traps.

But now the sun is coming out! Let me go and join it.

No comments: