Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Take Your Child to ? work ?.

Tomorrow is Take Your Daughters to Work Day. Which has become politically correct and includes (and sons). Brian knew about it, and he made sure we did, too. He insists that a letter or note will make it an excused absence, and he came right home from school and called Kevin for days this week, first to tell him to ask permission, and, today, to find out if it had been granted.

Kevin was somewhat apprehensive, but his boss was really fine with the whole idea. Some companies have whole programs, like when I was working as a temp at the hospital, I brought Megan in with me and they took her to a program encouraging them all to become nurses, to help the nursing shortage. Then she was bored in the office, making copies and stuffing envelopes all morning. Luckily, that was only a 3 hour a day job, but I think it was enough to make her choose school over a trip to Nordea NY. Plus, she wants to go to swim practice, so she can skip it Friday. Next week and forward, she won't really be able to skip at random.

I'd love to bring her to work with me but (a) I am not working and (b) I am not a 'real' employee so it might be a little awkward. But that would be a relevant spot for her. I'm pretty sure that with her interests and background, she will NEVER end up pushing papers around in a bank. After all, it's the math class that broke her pefect A+ average! But even if they were to call me tonight, it's not in time for me to ask the Principal for permission, plus she's kind of a dictator and might not appreciate being asked that by a sub. Athough I'd ask anyway, if I had time. What would I have to lose?

But I will be going in Friday and Monday to work, then I'll find out how the little boy is doing who went off in the ambulance yesterday. I'm sure he is OK, but maybe not yet back in school.

Oh, right, but Brian. So he is going to Nordea tomorrow. He has to get up at 5:30 and take the bus into NY. I will make sure he takes the murse that I bought him to use as a carry-on, so he can take glasses if he wears his contacts, and a book to read. He's beside himself with excitement at the prospect of going, and I'm not really sure if it's the trip to the office, or the day off from school, or both, that really has him so worked up. It was all he talked about all day. He even called Megan when we were driving back from her beach dryland practice, to see if she wanted to go, too. I think he was disappointed she isn't going - but he got over that really quickly.

I enjoyed my day off today. I walked, then walked Molly, then took her in the yard with me while I raked leaves out from this mysterious bush that flowers in little pink carnation-type buds. I accidentally pulled off a whole branch of it, so I threw it into the car and took it with me for identification, and found out that it is a "flowering almond", which the woman called "old-fashioned" =:-O ... so when it's done blooming, I am to cut it down well, then fertilize/feed it, and make sure it gets plenty of water. And this fall: get the leaves out of it! My friend Denise kept the clipping, she is going to try to get it to grow its own roots. I also bought a new azalea, because it was nicer than any azalea I have ever seen. Now I have to find it a home. It's very small.

In other news, Megan is feeling better. She still has sniffles but she wanted to go to the beach practice, but then she said it wasn't fun. They ran the whole length of the boardwalk, which is probably about 2 miles each way, and then went down to do calisthenics on the beach. The weather is supposed to be stay very warm for the next few days, and I don't think we are able to run our new air conditioner yet because they have not "checked the charge" - and I won't try it. There was a house in town that erupted in flames for no apparent reason last week. I think it had to do with comcast surges, and they camme out to check on it, stuck some monitor in somewhere, backed off in horror, and the house went up in flames. Luckily noone was home, and nobody was hurt. (and no pets! and I heard they saved a piano) Otherwise there really is not much news. Tomorrow: laundry and house cleaning. The blog is sure to be fascinating after that.

No comments: