Friday, January 8, 2010

week one in review

Wow! I did not think I had neglected the blog for an entire four days! Where does the time go? It's been a pretty busy week, but I guess what happened was after I worked on Tuesday, I had a splitting headache and couldn't stand to think too much. I still had to run around and get things done, but I just did the bare minimum. I can't even remember much about that day or the one after it. I didn't see a single job go by for Wednesday, but that was OK because of my head; which was getting better but still hurt. I took some time to rest and watch the History Channel's specials on Armageddon. Batten down the hatches!

Then I didn't work yesterday, because I blocked the afternoon so I could pick Megan up from school to to get her to her early spin class. This caused me to see NO JOBS again. This morning, I could have worked - two full days and one half went by - but we were up late last night worrying about Brian's 20 page PowerPoint presentation, and were up early again making last minute edits and printing it out while he was in the shower. Kevin also conveniently scheduled the plumber to come and fix our heat right at the exact moment that I had to leave to take Brian to school with seconds to spare. Luckily, Kevin had stayed home (I foolishly thought I might be able to accept one of the jobs that I was sure I would see) to meet him, so that worked out. So I came home and showered, in case another job came up late, but as per Murphy's Law, haven't seen a thing since.

Anyway, someone sent me an email about a potential job I could do, just a menial data entry type of thing, but it would provide a regular, albeit meager source of income year-round, and would at least get me back into a routine and give me some credibility. But I called the place and they are not ready to talk to me yet, so they'll call me back next week. Meanwhile, I found another local school district hiring substitute secretaries (teachers, too, but I don't even think I could provide half of what they ask for!) and will apply for that if I can assemble two letters of recommendation. I hate to ask people for these, so I emailed my two most recent bosses and asked them. Most recent, of course, meaning ten years ago. Sigh.

There is one teacher I would feel comfortable enough to call at home and ask her for a letter, and two or three others I would ask in person, and I am sure all would do it for me. But I feel that it's awkward, since I would be leaving the district that they work for if I got hired by someone else. So even though the district seems unwilling to give me so much as a callback for an interview for any position EVEN their sub secretary spots, I still feel that I am betraying them by asking their employees to recommend me. Which implies to potential employers, possibly, that I have something to hide, having no current references!

But I do feel the time is here to push up the search, not that my recent efforts have done me any good. They have yielded one call so far, and it was to work customer service in a bank on nights and weekends. If I had to work nights and weekends, I think I'd rather be in a hospital, or in a retail setting! I don't fancy the thought of robbers coming in, or working in the fishbowls that are the modern suburban bank buildings!

Every once in a while I entertain thoughts of going back to school for a teaching degree. But we can't afford that with other people's tuition to pay! It costs about $13,000 to get certified via the alternate route program, and it also sounds like a lot of work, and there are no guarantees, because you have to have a sponsor willing to hire you and you work for them while you complete the second half of the program. But there is a $200 intro class, now required even to apply, which I am considering taking at least for the informative aspect. If I don't find something soon, I'm afraid I'm going to get another cat!

But myself aside, Brian is very busy in school and he started intramural basketball yesterday. He had a good time, his team lost one game and won one, and he scored two baskets! So he felt pretty good about that, he had been nervous that people might not think he was any good, and he worried about that a lot in the beginning. He has one more week before midterms, and he has a lot of studying to do! Fortunately (I hope) he has all the study guides already filled in, after spending his entire break working on them. It should just be a matter of reviewing and reviewing and reviewing!

Megan has a swim meet this weekend again, but it won't be one where she's dominating the scene. I don't expect college coach inquiries to follow ;-) This is a meet that used to be for slower swimmers only, and so you would go and do your weaker events. A few years ago, they changed it, and now it has faster swimmers as well. But our coach still puts the swimmers in their weaker events, so they don't have the pressure of the elusive best time, but they get a little experience in the pool and maybe take some time off of something they haven't done in a while. So it's a low key meet for us, and maybe some best times, maybe not. They are very sore from being in the beginning of their hard practice season. And it's also going to be tiring, plus she has a high school meet on Monday, against the first good team we are facing this year.

Her high school is currently ranked second in the division, falling only behind the Catholic school that dominates the area due to their ability to draw from all over. But we have had the least meets of all (only four) so far, and they have all been against easy teams. I expect we will drop two spots and end up coming in fourth of seven teams by the end of the season. This is really better for Megan, because those who rank higher up have to swim in the state tournament, which can be exciting, but it also really starts to interfere with their end of season Y training.

Anyway, in other news, I am finally going to take the ornaments off of the tree, as soon as I finish this blog post. I didn't do it the other day because of the headache, and then the cleaning people were coming and I didn't want to make things worse by having boxes all over if I didn't finish in time. So, without further delay ... I am off!

No comments: