Wednesday, January 27, 2010

in other news

And the week is half over. Today is a dress-down day at Brian's school to raise money for Haiti. He forgot! I remembered when I drove past a sign on a church that talked about Haiti, and hoped I was wrong, but knew I was right. When I got home, I had a text from him. Not sure if that means he wants me to bring him jeans a t-shirt because that ain't happenin'! At least he forgot something that involved home-to-school instead of school-to-home. I'll send him in tomorrow with a check for the cause anyway. I also meant to do that with Megan's school, they did a benefit concert on short notice, so of course she couldn't make it.

So yesterday I took him to the mock trial competition. I didn't understand how it worked, but now I do. The schools all have the same case, and they have to prepare both prosecution and defense arguments. The names of all the characters are not gender-specific, so they can be reversed from men to women. I'm not sure how Brian's school handles it when they have to send a woman. The kids kept messing up and calling the girls 'he' and the boys 'she' in their testimony, but now I understand why, because they practice it both ways.

Anyway, yesterday it was our turn to be the defense. We lost, but the prosecution (or plaintiff, as the judge said when he ruled in their favor) was exceptional. As it turned out, Brian didn't even have to be there at all yesterday - he was supposed to go today. So now he will have to, but Megan has that swim meet where she has to race the girl who dogged her all the way on Sunday. I told him to try to get a ride and I'll come pick him up. All I got was a text saying, "it's dress-down day."

What happens today is while the prosecution team goes, the rest of the team must play the role of juror on a trial between two unrelated schools. Our trial only got five jurors, and they had to leave before the closing statements. I don't now if their deliberations are decisive or if the 'judge' (either a real judge or an attorney sitting in as a mock judge) makes the actual determination. Either way, it was quite interesting and fun to watch. There was always something happening. Some of the kids got nervous, but most did really well.

And in Megan's world, she starts her midterms tomorrow. She'll be home around 6 from the meet and she will have to shower, eat, and hit the books pronto. I think she has a hard one tomorrow. Friday's, she says, are not too bad, and her two worst are Monday. She has a swim meet on Sunday but due to some air quality issues with the pool, she's had a terrible cough since last night. Well, I should say she had a terrible cough last night. Only one time but I thought I was going to have to rush her to the hospital for an oxygen tent. She was better afterward but then she had a tight hacking cough in the morning. If the pool is still like that and she is still coughing, I might have her stay in and study. She took midterms last year sick with the flu, we don't need a repeat of some of those scores, especially not now, in her junior year!

Otherwise, in other news, I worked all day Monday and a half-day yesterday. Both days were busy and not too bad. I was supposed to work tomorrow afternoon but it was canceled, so now I have no jobs in my future at all. Unless, of course, I am offered the one for which I had my return interview. It seemed to go well, I met with two nice women and told them my life story, business version, and then gave them a writing sample, which I am worrying about whether I did well on, as I was given a time limit that caused me to worry the whole time if I would be able to get it all done. When I write something, I will generally write it straight through at first, then go back and tweak and edit. Although I was lucky that I did manage to get most of the information into the piece, I didn't even have time to go back and proof for spelling and typos, much less for content changes.

Then I had to save it to a flash drive, and I was feeling rushed, so I forgot to check that it was there on the stick! It definitely saved somewhere because it didn't prompt to save when I closed it, so hopefully it will be there! And now, I sit back and let the cards fall where they may. Oh, and Kevin is in Finland. He'll be back Friday evening. And that is all for now.

No comments: