Monday, January 25, 2010

somebody slow down 2010!

I can't even believe it is already almost February. My head is spinning with all that is going on. I can't imagine how I survived this time of year last year with E and all of her drama on top of what goes on normally!

So the biggest news of the weekend was the meet yesterday. I was really nervous for Megan in her first race because I knew one of the other girls was going to make a big push for the win, I just wasn't sure which one of about five. I didn't really think about this at the time, but Megan has won this event at this meet for two years in a row, and she has been the one to beat at this meet - and at the one we have to go to in two weeks. And I was right - one girl stuck to her like a mosquito for the entire race. At some points she was even ahead! But in the end Megan pulled it off and won by a second and a half! The rest of the girls were three seconds behind that one!

In the next race, you could see she was taking no chances. She went out fast and held her lead. She finished so far ahead of the other girls that it was as if they had their own race without her. It was really fun to watch her so far ahead of all the others, and hear all the buzz around us about her swimming. It was worth the stress of the first race to watch that! Then we went out for a very unhealthy dinner on the way home. She is bogged down with homework now, but she has to go to practice or she will be in big trouble. And her midterms begin on Thursday. She also has a dual meet on Wednesday against the girl who came in second to her in that first race, who happens to be the cousin of her rival from the last two years.

And speaking of midterms, Brian got his grades back. He did NOT fail bio after all (perhaps there was a curve?) but he did fail religion. I have a feeling he really didn't study too hard for that one, because he had a strong grade in the class and thought he knew enough. But the test was co-authored by another religion teacher, the one who is notoriously impossible, especially for those former public school students. But I don't know what this will do to his grade - clearly bring it down but I think it may still manage to hang around the area of a low B or high C. So although he will have no As this marking period, he may have a few Bs and a few Cs, but hopefully nothing below a pass. HOPEFULLY. Sigh. This is brutal.

In other news, Kevin is leaving for Europe tonight, set to return Friday. Thankfully the weather has ended and the winds don't seem too bad around here. I had a full day of work today and I have a half day tomorrow. I have to get Megan rides to and from practice because Brian has mock trial at the courthouse tomorrow and I have to take him and watch! He doesn't have a part, he is in the 'jury' but I don't know what any of it entails. This is uncharted territory for us! I was supposed to work Thursday but it was just canceled on me. But the biggest news of all is that, to my surprise, I have been invited back for the second round of interviews for the job! So I will see where that leads me. Good thing I bought myself a new blazer at the outlets the other day. I was starting to think I might not need it.

No comments: