Tuesday, January 12, 2010

elusive productivity

I guess maybe the problem is that I have SAD; who knows. I can't seem to motivate myself to do anything: exercise, laundry, clean the house, cook ... I am managing to scrimp by with the bare minimum each day. On Sunday I had to fill in for Megan in the Sunday school with the pre-K class, and holy cow! Are kids getting worse, or am I just getting older? It was the longest hour I have had in a while, including sub positions! But after that I did come home and manage to cook a big pot of "gravy" so we had dinner for two nights. Tonight is a different story. Ack. I ordered a cookbook with healthy recipes and pictorial directions, which is due to arrive tomorrow. Maybe our culinary life will get more exciting after that gets here.

Yesterday afternoon I blocked myself out from work so I could go watch Megan's meet (they lost, although it was a valiant attempt and our team won all but two individual events and one relay - the other team just had more 2nd and 3rd place finishes, so they beat us by ten points, which is the closest we have come to this team in three years) so again I saw no jobs even for the morning.

However, that turned out to be a good thing because Wilbur was found at 4am in his crate, cowering on one side and looking disdainfully at a foul-smelling brown pile on the other. So Kevin took him out and then cleaned him up, and I attempted to clean the fallout upstairs. Later in the morning, he puked and then had another attack of diarrhea, and then a couple more later (thankfully these last two were outside). After each, he had to go into the sink. Thank goodness he is a small dog. But no thanks to the white hair that adorns his rear in such abundance.

This morning I saw one job but didn't take it. I am worried about Wilbur, as he ate a rug on Sunday morning, and I didn't know how much of it was actually ingested. It was a floor mat, but he pulled at it until it unraveled before I found him with it. He may have also eaten the foam. So today I'm watching him, but he hasn't gone yet at all this morning, despite being taken out four times. I don't know if this means he is totally blocked, or just getting better. I guess in a few hours I will find out. I can run him over to the vet today if I need to.

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to put my ducks in a row for the job search. I asked two former supervisors for blanket reference letters and contacted another from the job I had before that. So I now have three solid work references, although the most recent has not supervised me for over ten years. I submitted another online application to the district that always ignores me, and I am awaiting one more reference letter to submit another for substitute secretaries in a nearby district. I haven't heard about the other job, the menial one that the woman was going to get back to me "early in the week" about.

But I do have a job for tomorrow afternoon in my usual school, and I think I'm going to ask one or two of the teachers if they mind my using their names as references in outside searches, if I have the time to ask. I have to run out at the end of the day, because this is the day I wouldn't have taken if I had realized that Megan has an important meet at 3:30, and my day is supposed to end at 3:15. I'm hoping I can run out at 3:00, since I'm only covering meetings. I'll have to ask first, though, or I will get in trouble.

Anyway, in other news, we got the Christmas things down and put away. Now I just have to dig up all the regular around-the-house items and put them back out, all the picture frames and little knick-knacks. It is cold and a bit gloomy outside, but at least it's dry and not windy. I woke up with a pressure headache this morning, and I still can feel it a little bit. I also have piles and piles of laundry, and I still haven't vacuumed the stairs, left a hairy mess by the cleaning people. Who also took my dishwashing kitchen sponge and scrubbed the sink with it, using something that smells like Ajax! They did not do a good job this last time, and I intend to mention that when they come again next week.

Oh yeah .. and my hacked Facebook. SO ANNOYING. I was on until about 9:15 yesterday morning, then went up to wash the gray right out of my hair. When I came back down, I discovered myself sending IMs to friends, and I saw myself tell one that I was stuck in London. I quickly changed the password, and it stopped, seemingly with the only ill effect being that the friend I had told about London had been dropped. No big deal, she added me again and we were fine. I used Facebook all day without incident. Until later in the evening when I was suddenly not logged in anymore. And it told me my account had been deactivated for violating Terms of Service.

Someone must have reported my account! I am really mad. Obviously it wasn't me doing it, and why not just tell ME someone is using my account? It was probably one of those 'friends' suggested through the chiari group, someone I don't really know at all. So I am using a different Facebook account now, and I won't have all of those friends from the chiari world. The only ones I am adding are those who I have actually been emailing with for years, the ones who have children with the condition or whose progress I have followed since the beginning of our own journey with it.

No comments: