Sunday, January 17, 2010

happy birthday to me

Well, it's been a busy and eventful week, nothing too exciting but just a lot of running around. First of all, Wilbur is finally better, but not before he got worse and I had to take him to the vet. So he got some medicine, which cured him almost immediately. Amazing how when dogs get diarrhea, they take antibiotics and it goes away. So he's doing fine, had his first grooming yesterday and is prancing around the house awaiting the return of Megan and Kevin. We're all staying home today to help Brian prepare for his midterms, and Megan also has a lot of work to do, especially since she had to be up at 5 again yesterday for a meet which lasted until noon.

Of course, this return of Megan and Kevin means broken concentration, but I will try to make sense. So last week, I worked Wednesday afternoon and had little hope of working again for the week. I was supposed to have an interview on Friday morning and a necessary hair appointment in preparation, on Thursday morning. So I blocked out both mornings on the sub system. Or so I thought.

On Wednesday morning, I received an email rescheduling my interview to this upcoming week. I was a little sad, because I had thought that having an interview on my birthday had been a good sign. But I went about my business, worked that afternoon (which is where I found out that I had inadvertently sent out invites to join Facebook and become my friend - to every single person I had ever emailed from my gmail account!!! perhaps even the interviewer, who had been communicating with me via email ... hmm .. hope that isn't why he rescheduled!) and came home to find a request to work the next two days in one of the classes in which I have spent the most time this year. So I took it, and spent two pretty good days with the kids and got two more badly needed days of pay added into that paycheck. Luckily, I was able to reschedule the hair appointment to the afternoon.

And as I said, this weekend is spent in catching Brian up for his tests. He is presently struggling terribly in Biology, and I hope there is a chance to reverse that trend, but I'm not sure. So the goal is to keep his head above water in there, and to try to get him decent grades in the other subjects. There is a tremendous amount of material to cover. I have a feeling most should have been covered already as homework and notes, but he's so disorganized that I can't find a thing. I told him that rather than pay a tutor, the plan will be for me to sit down with him an hour a day, two days a week, to review and organize his notes and get the subject matter organized so that when finals come up, he will already have most of it in a study-able format. So we'll see how that goes.

In other news, my new Honda needed new rear brakes. When I go to carcomplaints.com, my two cars are #1 and #2 on the list of the most complained-about cars, but the 2008 Accord leads by an incredible amount. If I had known this, I might have never bought the car. There is something about the way the rear brake pads are set that makes them wear out prematurely. So at 22,000 miles I had to have them replaced for close to $300. If this is the only thing that happens, and they don't wear out EVERY 22,000 miles, then I will consider revoking my statement that I wouldn't buy the car again. But I may not have the car for two more years to find out, as the lease expires one year from today. Oh, and Megan got a college recruiting letter through her coach - she brought it home today. Exciting!

No comments: