Tuesday, November 10, 2009

onward and onward

Well, Brian had off from school yesterday. It was a beautiful day for a surprise day off, but it cost me a day of work because I stayed home to get him in to the orthodontist, so I won't have to do it tomorrow and I am free to be in Delaware all day if I like. (weather permitting?) He went to see The Fourth Kind which is a movie I would never even think of seeing! It kind of scared him (who isn't scared of alien abductions?) but he couldn't really explain it very well. Maybe he was hiding under his seat the whole time.

Megan did well at the second day of the swim meet on Sunday, she was third and fourth in a couple of events after being fourth in the one on Saturday. It was ridiculously long again, though, and they didn't get home until 9pm, nearly a 12 hour day for them. And she was back to school yesterday. Next week high school swimming will start. That's going to really complicate things for us all.

And my job search is fizzling again. I love that you can just go to these websites: hospitals, schools, banks, etc, and send in your resume, but what I hate is that you have to re-enter the same information over and over and over again, while at the same time attaching a resume that says it all anyway. But of course, I've had no calls, my background is not entirely right for most of them. What I want is just a basic money-making mind-occupying job that will maybe turn into something more in 3-5 years. At least for this year, I would like to be able to get home by 3. Next year when Megan drives, 4 or 5 will be more acceptable.

Of course, this morning in my email I found a job for which I actually seemed qualified. It said they want someone with excel and database experience, which are the words that are all over my resume. I am half tempted to send it in anyway, to see if I get any interest, but the problem is that it's full time and half an hour away. They don't say the hours, if it were 8-4 I might be able to pull it off, although then my little dog would become a latchkey dog, home alone every day from 7:45 till 2:30. I guess I won't send it in after all. I can't even do 7-3 because I drive Megan to school at 7. Even if I drove her to the bus, we'd leave at 6:45. I guess 7:30-3:30 is manageable, but anyway, I doubt that I get to set the hours. It's probably 8:30-4:30 or worse, one those 8:30-5:00 jobs that gives you an hour for lunch, unpaid.

I've actually decided to try to volunteer a day or two a week at one of the hospitals if I can. That way they will know me when the right job comes along, and hopefully, they'll like me and hire me. And it is something I've always wanted to do anyway, so it's worth a try.

But this morning I am up and already showered, so I can accept the jobs that pop up at the last minute. There was one job at 5:30, but it was at the middle school and while I was still wiping the sleep out of my eyes, someone snatched it up anyway. Then another came up, just now, but it was at a school that I don't want to go to. So I let that one go as well. For someone who hasn't worked much lately, I am awfully selective.

Oh, and yesterday was terrible! I got one job for a half day tomorrow at one of my favorite schools. I accepted that one right away, I have to earn $40 to earn back the money I spent on the annual subscription for the widget that alerts me to postings so I don't have to keep refreshing the page. Then another job came up, but it was split into two postings, one for the morning and one for the afternoon. I accepted the morning one first, and then went back as fast as I could to get the afternoon, and it was already gone!

It's just covering meetings so I don't think it will matter but how stupid! Now they will have two separate subs to cover their full day of meetings. I just hope it's busy. Oh, and to make things better, after I accepted it, I realized that it is covering meetings for the people to whom I submitted a resume for consideration as their new secretary, and they never even called me in for an interview. So, on Friday the 13th, I will have to humbly serve them while sucking up my humiliation at being rejected. Great fun. I can't even release the job because that would make me look bad. They probably already got confirmation that I have accepted.

In other news, Kevin is flying off to Chicago. I told him he will have to go into quarantine when he gets back, after spending time on an airliner in swine flu pandemia. He'll be back late this evening, but he is also off tomorrow. He is semi-invited to attend University of Delaware with us, but he might just stay at home. I guess it depends on the weather and whether or not he feels like getting up. I think we need to leave around 7:45am.

No comments: