Monday, November 16, 2009

another manic monday

All of Megan's Mondays will be manic for a while, starting with today. Today was the first day of high school practice at their brand new pool (half an hour away) So she had to go there and swim for two hours, then I had to pick her up and take her straight to the Y where she will remain for four hours. And on the way there, she told me that she has a B average in Calculus. This might sound good, and I suppose that it is, but it's actually one of the lowest grades she's ever had. And there may be others. And I attribute this not to her intelligence or effort, but due to the fact that she flat out refuses to sacrifice any of her Y time to study for tests in these more challenging courses.

So she has to attend six high school practices before she can swim in a HS meet, and their first is going to be December 2. This Monday and next will be the worst, because she plans to do this again next week. She'll go on Wednesdays and Fridays but she doesn't go to the Y on Wednesdays and on Fridays she doesn't have to worry about schoolwork, or getting up the next day. So this is when I get stressed over her schedule. And to top that, some fool parked in the bus loading zone so when the bus pulled up it angled its way in and blocked ME in, because I had left it room behind the fool so it could unload. Then I had to wait so long for it to finally pull away that a JV football game had just let out by the time we started moving, and it took us 20 minutes to get out of the parking lot.

Brian, meanwhile, has officially withdrawn himself from his high school swim team. He wasn't all that keen on it anyway and he doesn't have to do it if he doesn't want to. He hopes to try out for tennis in the spring, but that may be challenging. The swim team would have been nice because he probably would have been able to stay on the team, they don't really cut a lot of kids although not all get to swim at every meet. But it was going to cost us extra money and I was going to have to drive him pretty far, and every day. And they were not going to be flexible about the three other clubs to which he belongs. He had a meeting today, and he's going to a Mexican restaurant with the Spanish club later in the week. And hopefully he can sign up to go hand out sandwiches to the poor again. He would have had to give up all of this to do a sport he doesn't even enjoy.

And now he will have no excuse for not bringing his Cs back up to where they belong, at a B minumum.

Imagine if I had been my own parent.

Anyway, in other news, I had a half day assignment today which was one of the easiest ones ever. I was covering for a teacher who went into two meetings the entire afternoon, for about five or ten minutes each. I stayed with her the whole time anyway, just in case she got called into another one, which she never did. So it wasn't very trying, and I got to watch a teacher at work, which is always helpful with my own skills. When I got home, the bell rang again and I picked up another full day for Wednesday, that same class that I have been in so often. Amazing how I don't see anything else for days on end. I'm pretty sure a lot of jobs are just filled by a phone call and a handshake these days. I stalk the thing constantly and almost never see anything, aside from first thing in the morning.

No comments: