Tuesday, November 3, 2009

and may the worst man lose

Well, it is election day today, a big day in the state of NJ. As I think I have said before, I wish I knew what to do! Admittedly our property taxes are embarrassingly high, the roads are overcrowded, and the air quality is questionable at best. But despite its reputation and reported mass exodus of citizens who can no longer afford to be citizens, it is still a great place to live, most of the time. We have beaches, parks, mountains, access to New York and Philadelphia, and just about anywhere you want to go, good schools, and people who for the most part have a pretty good sense of humor. They have to. So I think I won't know who I am voting for until I step into the booth and the spirit moves me. I have usually historically voted for the democrats. But I also can't shake my disgust at the car crash fiasco a few years ago. Why would they have been going so fast in the first place? What other laws do they feel just don't apply to them? I have road rage issues, so that bothers me maybe more than it should.

And today is the day we leave for Boston to visit some schools. We now have traveling companions, a swim team friend and her mother, so instead of getting up ridiculously early, we're just going to leave after practice and arrive in Boston ridiculously late. But at least then we'll have some time to relax and explore tomorrow. We have scheduled tours at BU for 2 and 3 tomorrow afternoon, and we'll be back on Thursday in time for swim practice.

So the swine flu continues to be a concern. Those who had fallen ill in school last week seem to be recovered, and in fact there are quite a few who tested negative and recovered more quickly than you would think, so perhaps there is another, mystery virus out there as well causing "FLI" (flu like illness). Having the public schools closed may be helping, but I know that the kids are all mingling with each other anyway, and perhaps sharing germs even more in social settings than they would in school. Brian's school posted a memo from the principal, urging kids to stay home if they are sick, allowing them to take incompletes for the marking period if they bring in a doctor's note proving they were ill. He also implies that they have not been hit as hard, which I gathered before, but that he doesn't expect this situation to continue. But we can hope. I'm leaving Brian's insurance card at home, and Kevin has his schedule cleared for flexibility should he need to come home early either tomorrow or Thursday.

And in other news, Wilbur is now a bit less of a man. He did well with his surgery yesterday although of course he was most distressed about all of it. He's already trying to be his old self, barking at people outside, stealing bones from Molly, and trying to run after cats. I can tell he is in some discomfort by the way he holds his body when I go to pick him up, or when he climbs in or out of a dog bed, but in general he seems pretty well. And he is, of course, starved. He wouldn't be Wilbur if he didn't want to eat. As for me, well, I've had not a single bite on any resumes I sent out last weekend, so that is a bit gloomy for me. With Christmas coming up and my summer bills not quite paid off, I'm afraid some of the charity children I have helped in the past will not be enjoying quite the repeat of Christmas past. Hopefully the subbing will at least pick up after this week off and I can rack up some dollars to get some things done. Hard times.

No comments: