Thursday, October 22, 2009

world series, take two

Can they do it again? Will they be playing the Yankees? That will certainly be exciting in my part of the world! I wanted to put my Phillies sticker on the back of my Explorer but I'm seriously concerned that the car will be trashed if it comes down to a race for the win! But last night was another nail-biting game, not starting well and then ending with threats and pitching changes galore. Poor Joe Torre. Although I guess it's better to lose now than to come and be beaten in NY by the Yankees!

This morning I'm stalking the sub finding system. Two jobs have gone by, one was gone as soon as the alert bell rang, and then I just happened to see another, and the alert bell rang a minute or two later. So it seems the system is out of sync, and that's what happened with the first. The second was all day for Spanish, which I would have done, but I always feel that I should at least speak *some* of the language, even though she usually leaves videos for the day. But before I could decide if I should take this job as an impostor, it was also gone, quick as it had come.

I didn't work yesterday, the only job I saw came across too late for me to get there any earlier than an hour + past its start time. I guess either someone cancelled or they didn't realize they needed a floating sub, so they put the job up at 8:45 requesting a start time of 8:30. I would have gone, but I hadn't showered, planning my walk. But I would have liked to have had a job for today, even though I also would love to be home to enjoy the weather! And the Doll has invited me out for lunch with the $25 she had given to Brian to buy her a book at his museum trip, the one that was cancelled.

But yesterday two financial dilemmas presented: one was a call that came as I was up to my elbows changing the litterboxes (when else would the phone ring?) It was Brian's school, they are doing a fundraiser where they want everyone to commit $5000 to the school over five years! I guess that the more a school costs, the more they think you can afford, but this is not the case with us! We can't commit to that, still having the lawnmower issues hanging overhead and Megan's college coming up. The woman wanted to go over it with me, and said she'd call today. So I don't know what to say when that call comes!

I'll have to ask some of the other swim team families how they handled it. As it is, our church is claiming dire straits and asking for a pledge of 20% more from every family so they won't have to start cutting staff just to meet expenses. And a five year commitment when we only have four years at the school seems a little intense, as he's only been in the school for two months and although it seems to be going well, it's a little premature to commit like that.

The other thing that happened was that Kevin's new insurance refused to cover the vitamins that Megan takes for her acne, nicomide. The old insurance did pay, but I can't remember what our copay was, it may have been $40. So that was every month. But this one won't pay at all, so it cost $85! Of course, I can price them around and find a cheaper alternative (maybe) and they also offer a mail-order prescription service, so maybe they have them there, but I was really annoyed. She has been taking them for nearly a year and they are working quite well, keeping her off of all the other alternative treatments except an occasional topical when she gets a breakthrough flare-up. Hopefully we can get them to pay for it, but if not, there's another monthly expense, she can't just stop taking them.

In other news, Megan has a swim meet at Rutgers this weekend, there are a few colleges going as well. She's not going Sunday, to do what would have been her best event (200 free), but she is doing the 500 free tomorrow so that should be interesting. I had to designate tomorrow afternoon as a no-work day so I can pick her up right at 2:15 from school and head straight out to the pool. They also start their dual meets on Saturday, so she has to go to Rutgers in the morning, then come back and swim in the afternoon at the Y. And so it begins. Brian will have church practice and then tennis, and then the 'talent show' for which he has been practicing will be that night, oh, and I have to bring an 'ethnic appetizer' so I'm open to any thoughts on that one.

No comments: