Wednesday, October 28, 2009

welcome to the working week

Anyway, the sub system is at it again, my widget seems to be off sync with the actual system and it's beeping too late for me to see the posted jobs. I did work yesterday and the day before, but yesterday was not a good day. I had to travel between two schools, and the instructions for doing so were not clear as they had me at one until noon, when the class ended at 11:20, and at the other one at 12:01, when that first class started at 1:30. So without going into much detail, I'll just say that I was sent to sit in a virtual closet with nothing to do for over an hour. When I got home, the first thing I did was block out that school for future jobs! It was my first time going there anyway, might as well have it be the last as well.

So the big news is that my blog was flagged, I assume, in a search for an editorial type column in the Star-Ledger. I didn't know this until I received the comment below. Bits and pieces were fortunately edited out, but the general gist is that I am confused as to what to do. And I am! But now I have comments calling me a child abuser and invoking Darwin to imply that the world will be better off without me and my children, should I choose not to vaccinate them with this as-yet unavailable vaccine. In fact, we did get advice NOT to vaccinate Brian because of his neurological issues, and I am certainly worried about this! The same issues that may make him more susceptible to complications from flu also make him potentially more likely to suffer a devastating reaction to the vaccine! I am still on the fence with Megan, but will wait and see what the next few days bring in terms of information.

It seems as if the flu is beginning to sweep through the schools, however quietly for now. I am hearing lots of stories of people sick with high fevers and coughs, and not only young kids. Most are recovering, but the advil/tylenol ritual seems to have to be performed around the clock. And then with this latest news of the sudden death of a 17 year old in South Jersey, even more to fear! They said he was doing fine until he woke up with this raging fever. And that is what seems to happen. The fever doesn't creep up - it's all of a sudden there with a vengeance, and very hard to manage. This is not the way it was with our flu in February, when we had lower fevers at first, that advanced to the higher degree, and we didn't have them much in the morning, after a good night's sweat.

I read something yesterday that quaoted a doctor likening all of those who choose not to vaccinate to the people standing and admiring the receding ocean before the Tsunami hit in Thailand, and that is an alarming analogy. Then I read more, claiming that the vaccine manufacturers don't fully disclose the risks of the adjuvants and additives that are in those vaccines. But, again, who is telling the truth, or both are true and they just don't know when the risk is worth taking. It certainly is a tough spot to be in. I do wish I could have blind faith and just walk in and roll up all of our sleeves. Certainly all might be fine, and then we wouldn't have to worry. Until next year, or the year after, when we would be asked to roll them up again. Or until ten or twenty years later, when the autoimmune disorders began to set in. How do I know? I only have access to what is on the internet, and what the doctors tell me; and then hope that I have done the right thing.

Anyway, in other news, the big game should be a go for tonight. Hopefully the rain will let up in time for them to play without adverse conditions, and we can get the series underway!!! I'm getting nervous - this is sort of Yankee country out here!

No comments: