Sunday, October 4, 2009

weekend update

Well, I lack originality this evening. Kevin has left for Sweden, he is airborne as I blog this, due to return Thursday afternoon, in time for our scheduled Bruce concert on Friday night. I think about the day I bought the tickets, sitting there waiting for the sales to commence, hitting F5 over and over and then feeling so lucky to have gotten the ones I got.

Until several weeks later when all of a sudden tons more tickets were suddenly available. what was up with that anyway? I see that the Spectrum concerts are sold out for just a few days later. How in the world does Bruce do this anyway? He's 60 years old and playing a concert tour as if he's 20. But still, I am excited to go. even if we will probably leave early because (a) I hate crowds and traffic and (b) Megan has to be at school at 7:45 the next morning to take an SAT 2 in math. Pre-calc, to be exact. Excellent timing.

As for Buddy, clearly he is still gone, and it's still sad, but the litterboxes stink a lot less and the cat food lasts an extra day per can now. Rusty is trying to take the place of bed-warmer but he just lacks the personality and the body mass to fill those paws. Maybe in time. It's early days, still.

So yesterday Megan went down and dropped off the check at the autism walk. I brought Wilbur and he yapped his head off at first, making me realize he needs some more socialization in crowds. He loves the dog park, he knows how to act there, but he doesn't know how to walk respectably in public. Although today was the Blessing of the Animals at our church, and we brought both of them. He was quite well behaved, and only yapped a couple of times during the entire hour and a half!

Brian spent the afternoon at his school's open house, being a greeter, which was the job available to the freshmen. He had a good time, manning a table and handing out information to prospective freshmen. He really does like the school. Tomorrow he is taking a test on a case for mock trial to see if he can be a lawyer or a witness (I don't think he has studied nearly enough!) and on Tuesday he is going to Asbury Park for some sort of service project with the other group he joined. And later in the month, he's taking a trip with the Spanish and French clubs to a medieval religious museum in New York!!

Anyway, in other news, the clock strikes ten and I must head to the hay. In Kevin's absence, I have Wilbur duty round the clock, he usually keeps him downstairs while I take my little cats up and feed them in the bedroom (a tradition started so new kittens could get some nourishment, with Buddy around no food was sacred back in the day). The Doll is allegedly improving, who really knows with her what is going on ... some more changes to her medications brought about more alleged lightheadedness. But Kevin saw her yesterday and said she looked good.

Oh, and we had our driveway sealed. It looks great. We had some strange guy who kept ringing our bell, but then Kevin mentioned this to someone who knew someone who did driveways, so we were relieved to use him, and the other guy never showed up again. Ack, there goes another cough. Megan is hacking again. I banned her from going to practice this morning, after two nights of coughing all night I thought it best she not swim for two hours in the early morning. I'm drugging her with benadryl now. The claritin D might as well have been sugar pills. Hope it will do the trick. I'm trying to avoid antibiotics.

No comments: