Sunday, October 25, 2009

swimming, working, and swine flu in school

What a weekend. Beginning on Friday, when I had to pick Megan up at school and drive her to Rutgers for a swim meet, ending with this morning, when I dragged myself out of bed at the ripe old hour of 8am, thinking my Farmville pumpkins had wilted (they had not!), the weekend was a whirlwind. Megan had to be at Rutgers Friday night and Saturday morning, and at the Y Saturday afternoon, for swim meets, plus I am trying to stay on top of a pimple type thing that she got a week ago on her thigh. I treated it quickly with bactroban and it started to go away, but now that it's so small it's important to continue treating it at least for another day or two, but I keep forgetting and she doesn't remind me.

Last night was the church 'talent show' fundraiser, and Chinese auction. We went not knowing what to expect. They had everyone bring an hors d'oeuvre and $20 and then they also sold tickets for the auction items. The talent show portion took place up in the church, and it was most entertaining. One selection, entitled "childhood memories" consisted of a song about manners that was sung around the singer's dinner table as a child, followed by a reading of 'Jim,' by Hilaire Belloc, which was absolutely hysterical. After that, the emcee, who resorted to a book of jokes between acts, introduced our rector, who was to speak to us about a 'tragic event that happened in America.'

Up the aisle, solemn and processional as in a Sunday service, came the rector, decked out in Dodger jersey and cap, and carrying a Manny Ramirez bobblehead on a tray as if he were a religious symbol. He ceremoniously placed Manny on the pulpit, then after a reverent stare at the bobbling head, opened his papers and proceeded to read the poem he had written, which summarized in verse the last inning of the Dodgers pennant race, and ended in a strike out for Manny, at which point he delivered a blow to the bobblehead that sent it toppling. The priest then observed a moment of silence, righted Manny, and left him there, proceeding off the altar. One of the phrases went, 'somewhere in the world, the sun is shining now, and hearts are light ...' so when he was done, the emcee said, "I think the happiness is in Philadelphia." :-)

There was also a bunch of music, most notably a performance with Brian as background guitar, which was cool - they played Sweet Child of Mine and one other song, whose name escapes me.

And so the big news is that Molly is 14 years old today! She made it! She seems kind of tired, like it's a lot of work to be that old, but she is ready to go out to the store to choose her gift. In the past I've gotten her things like new collars and leashes, but this year I guess she'll probably choose a bone or a tennis ball. She is not as hung up on fashion at this point in her life. I'm just waiting for Kevin to come with me, because someone has to hold onto the sidekick, as they both get overly excited in the pet store. she drags into everything and he yaps at everyone and pees on the floor when they try to pet him.

In other news, I have started an all-out assault to try to find a job. I've decided that enough is enough of this. As long as I can be home by 4:30 or 5 the kids should be able to make do. The only problems I would have are getting Megan to the Y two days a week and if Brian wants to do his high school swim team, he will need rides there every day during the season. I'd have to find someone who could take him there for me, and then I would have to be able to get there by the time the practice ended.

But it's all speculative at this point, who knows if anyone will even show interest. It's been ten years since I had a real job, as of this December. I sent one resume out to a company similar to the ones I worked for, just mailed that yesterday. Then I saw two university jobs, so I applied for those two, but both are full-time. And I sent in to the hospital where I briefly worked as a temp, asking them to consider me for anything part-time that they might have. I also answered an ad in the paper today, but that job is far away, although it is only part-time. So over the next few days I'll see if anything comes of all of this.

Oh, and lastly, the schools are asking us to make a decision on whether or not we want to have our kids vaccinated IN SCHOOL for H1N1! How to decide this? I don't trust the information we are given on either the vaccine or the virus! I don't want my kids to get sick, but I don't want them to have neurological reactions to the vaccine, either! And Brian with his chiari and syrinx, how do I know if that puts him at increased risk, either for having severe swine flu, or for having a reaction to the vaccine? And when Megan was little, she used to spike frighteningly high fevers, but she also used to have vaccine reactions. So how do I decided what is right for her? For myself, I think I'll skip the vaccine and suffer the consequences if I get sick. I hate having to make these decisions for other people!

2 comments:

HolisticArtsNJ said...

Hi - I saw your blog quoted in the Star Ledger this morning (10/28/09, p.19). I just wanted to help put your mind at ease over your daughter's 'spiking fevers' and 'vaccine reactions'. The fact that she can generate a good high fever and react to vaccines is a GOOD thing. Fevers up to 105 degrees are okay in kids (really). Low grade fevers mean the body isn't strong enough to fight the virus or bacteria it's trying to get rid of. Feeling the body's response (symptoms) to vaccines is good as well. It means the body is strong enough to generate a fight against the 'cocktail' of morbid material that vaccines are made of. You have a very healthy daughter! I am a Homeopath (yes, it really does work). Assuming an individual is otherwise healthy, allowing yourself to get the flu helps build immunity. I could go on, but my message about fevers and vaccines is why I'm leaving you my comment! Very best wishes, Barbara Lowry, Mountain Lakes, NJ

my3catz said...

Thanks for the comment. I had no idea the Star Ledger quoted me! I guess it is a bit of a non-issue in the moment, this vaccine or no, as there is no vaccine available anyway while the virus is beginning its tour through the community. I appreciate the encouragement on fevers; better stock up on motrin and tylenol just in case!