Tuesday, October 13, 2009

columbus who?

Kevin and Brian were off yesterday. The public schools? Nah. They'll randomly close next week, for some teachers' in-service. At least that works out for Megan, because she has a really busy weekend between Saturday and Sunday with swimming and church school (she teaches it now!) so she'll have all day Monday to rest and catch up. Or do history homework.

But I sat with my job search software open all morning and at 7:30, I heard the bell go off! I checked and it was at the school where we live, which I have never worked in as a substitute teacher, only as a para. So I took the job, thinking Kevin and Brian could have some father/son time, and I was so glad I had done that. It turned out to be the best assignment I have had so far this year. And after another entire day of stalking the system, I managed to get a half day at that school for Thursday. My goal is to get on their 'preferred list' so I can work there regularly. It's so convenient, the teachers are nice and laid back, and the kids (at least yesterday) are well-behaved.

Tonight they had an information night for freshman parents at Brian's school, with the guidance counselors telling us things we pretty much already knew. We didn't stay for the Q&A, but one thing I did take from it was that I should email the two teachers who gave Brian progress reports last week, biology and religion (we thought religion was fine, but we knew about the biology tests, just not the lab that he did poorly on.) Brian didn't want me to, he said that one of his teachers hates when parents email him, but the guidance counselors stress that we should do this. They also say to go through their notebooks and backpacks, and one went so far at a meeting Kevin attended as to say that you should ransack their drawers, as long as they are living in your house. Gotta love them Catholics! :-)

So things have been pretty mellow these days, I am still conducting interviews for a best friend but Rusty and Wilbur seem to be the top contenders, although I must admit to having a soft spot for Puff, not that she deserves it! But when she is sweet, she is charming, and it erases all memories of her bolting for under the couch to get away from me.

In other news, all of the history classes at Megan's school are going on a trip tomorrow to Ellis Island, but not hers. No, the AP kids have to stay in and read about history instead of experiencing it. They have some sort of trip planned for Boston in the spring, it's some sort of overnight trip, who knows if that will ever pan out, or how much it will cost. Speaking of Boston, Megan and I are planning a trip up there in a few weeks to visit Boston College's campus. It's a little early for official visits, but they do guided tours and it is best to do it while school is in session. We were going to stay two nights but now realize that we can't really do that, she has to be here for practice because they have a meet of medium importance that following weekend. So Wilbur is having his operation on the 2nd, and we will probably leave either late on the 3rd or early on the 4th, and come back on the 5th. After that we have to visit schools in PA, VA, and she wants to see UNC Chapel Hill, but that is a trip for the four of us in the spring or summer.

No comments: