Sunday, May 10, 2009

mother's day blues

So again, my (un-)favorite holiday descends upon us. I begin to dread Mother's Day about the time that the school craft projects get underway. In our class, we made a rose pin out of pipe cleaners. It was cute. Also a coupon book for the moms. And a card. Not bad considering I didn't even think of any of it, one of the other teachers gave me all the ideas.

This year, so far, hasn't been a let down. I had a headache all night long. I don't know if it's allergies, or a migraine, or tension, but it won't go away and I can't quite breathe right through my nose. But Megan had to be in church (Brian was also supposed to but I couldn't get a sub for him so he just blew it off) so we had to go. Kevin and Brian left early for Brian's baseball game. We ended up running late, but we did get there in time so that was OK.

E and I chose a pew with several empty rows in front (I hate when someone sits in front of me because I can't see) and I figured we'd be ok because we were practically late already, at 9:55. But by 10:05, there were people flooding the pews, and all right in front of us! (I guess all those empty seats looked too inviting to pass by) I decided to move over to the other side of the pew, and as soon as I did, the tall woman two rows ahead of us did the same >:-(

A little after that, in came another family. Two small boys and a baby girl sat with them. One boy colored, the other studied Pokemon cards, while the baby babbled and wriggled and complained for the entire hour and a half of church. The mom sneezed on me. Then church ended.

At this point, we went down to the plant sale, and I picked up a bunch of daylilies for the yard (photos on the yard's progress to follow in a day or two). My head was still hurting, so I decided we'd go get lunch, and I could get a bagel. Sometimes a plain buttered bagel helps. So we went to the bagel store. In the store was a boy who knows E, but once used to be really mean to Megan. So that bugged me at first. Then I noticed there were only three plain bagels left, and one cinnamon raisin, which is my usual favorite.

I saw Megan wave to someone, and turned to see who it was. It was the ringleader of the mean boys (our across-the-street neighbor) and his dad. The dad saw me turn, and he looked away. So I looked back to see if it was our turn. Then suddenly, the dad and the bully son proceeded to order ALL the bagels!!! I was so upset that I almost cried! Bad enough that their family has stomped us enough in the past but now they're going to come in and take my bagel? I was speechless. Snubbed, then cut. I still can't believe it. I just walked out to prevent myself from saying what I really wanted to say. Why is it that some people just feel that everything belongs to them? I had waited for at least three or four minutes, and they just walked in and went right in front of me.

Anyway, that has been my day so far. Now I'm going to go up and buy some petunias for the deck boxes I have hanging on the, well, the deck. My head still hurts because I never did get that bagel, I had a piece of microwaved leftover pizza.

In other news, no work is official for next week, but I was asked to do Wednesday and Friday, and maybe Thursday. But I don't know if they'll call me for that or not, or for more testing coverage. The last week of state testing is this week, with the fifth graders taking their tests. Progress reports are also due this week, at the end of the week, so I brace myself for that. And we have pretty much narrowed our trip down to London, with a couple of days in Paris at the end. Flights to Paris seem to have gone up in price, while London is still reasonable. I think I'd better book something this week. No more time to delay.

No comments: