Tuesday, May 19, 2009

and it's back ...

The swine flu is back. It is rearing its ugly head again, although I suspect it never left. The media just grew tired of it and now that people have died and schools are closing, they have decided to resurrect the coverage. They announced again that underlying conditions played a role in the deaths of those who succumbed in the US. But what does that mean? Don't most people have 'underlying conditions?' I mean, what about asthma? Asthmatics have to get flu shots to protect them from getting pneumonia. Does that mean they have to worry extra about the swine flu? And how can it be H1N1, just like the seasonal flu, and yet there is no cross-immunity? Why don't they publish fact sheets and answer the questions people really have? I think by now we know what flu symptoms are and how to wash our hands.

And, of course, we are booked on a transatlantic flight. I hope it's all in remission by then.

So today is my first day without work, due to the snafu where I told one teacher I would work for her and then the job was given to someone else, but I had turned down another job and then by the time I found out I didn't have the first, it was too late for the other. I wasn't too disappointed to be off, though, which is in contrast to the emotion I felt when E appeared, at 6:45, and asked to stay home from school because she didn't sleep well. Had she been Megan, I would have made her go. I don't believe in missing school because your nose is stuffy; and I took her to the doctor yesterday and they are treating her for sinusitis.

So I think this day will do little more than throw off her schedule. She's had no fever, just congestion and the cough; and it's been since Thursday, she should be improving rather than needing to stay home. I had really looked forward to being able to blast my stereo, straighten the house, catch up on laundry, and just pretty much be in an empty house. But I wasn't going to force her to go, and she went back to bed, where she remains.

In other news, Kevin has taken a day trip to Miami, meaning he is now exposing himself to the flying virus pool yet again. I went to the Y this morning and did some exercises to try to whip my aging self back into shape, and now I am off to the showers. I have work to do in the yard and in the house, as well as things I need to pick up from various shopping venues. I am not scheduled for any work again in the future, but I was asked to do 12 days in June. But I'll have to wait to see if they call me. It may end up the same way as this afternoon did. Oh, and we bought a new table for our back deck. Kevin wanted to move the old one down to the pool deck, so that's where it is. The new one is just a resin table, so it isn't that attractive, but it's functional and big enough for lots of people. Right now we have resin chairs around it, but if we get some nicer chairs, they might dress up the look of the table. I still need to get pictures of the yard again, and also I need to find my camera (that would help). I hope I didn't lose it, or it didn't get stolen.

No comments: