Friday, May 29, 2009

all the news that's fit to print

and maybe even some that's not...it's been a fast week, which is unusual for me with four day weeks. Usually I feel they drag by. But with all that's been going on: it was a cleaning lady week, meaning those always fly by before I have a chance to straighten up for the day she comes in, I ended up with two days of work at the end of the week, all the driving for swimming, and the debacle with my Explorer - time has just flown by.

Where to start? Well, Tuesday and Wednesday were quiet days so I sat around and blew off some time. I managed to get in a workout and a good walk, thankfully, because after that I have not had a chance. I was called to work yesterday at 6:50 am and the class was full of coughing people. I was relieved when I was asked to go somewhere else today, because then I was unable to return to that sickroom today, if they needed me! But today I had a third grade class that just doesn't listen. It was tiring. They are notorious for being this way. And I also got two bits of school news, one good, one bad. The bad news? The snails from last Friday did NOT survive the weekend. I guess I should have fed them :-( ... but the good news? My cross turned up! A kid found it on the playground! Of all places, like finding a needle in a haystack! It must have become stuck in my sweater when the chain broke, and not fallen off until I got outside. Because the chain was found inside the classroom! But now I have the whole thing back, so that is a beautiful thing.

So, the Explorer. The thing has never run smoothly. It had to have a new transmission in its first year. But this time, it's much, much worse. It is, of course, out of warranty, although some of the problems have been occurring for a while. I just never knew that they were related. The ABS light that comes on, the 4x4 high that blinks on and off, and the high pitched whine that comes from the engine upon acceleration, particularly on highways. Most recently, the feeling that something is about to fall off of the bottom of the car.

So the estimate went from $450 to $1000, and is now sitting at $1800. But we don't even know if that will fix the car. A google search reveals that Ford Explorers built after a certain time, and including the 2004 model year, are pieces of crap. Apparently their entire rear ends are just desined to self destruct. They whine at high speeds, and this is apparently a sign of a failing rear differential. Who knew? I thought it was just a loud obnoxious truck. Kids in the back seat have been complaining about that noise for years. Compounded by the fact that the spilled milk makes the car reek of baby puke, this issue may be the final straw on that confounded piece of junk.

The car's been at the dealership for over a week now. They've done $1000 worth of work on it, and it isn't fixed. Now I guess it's taken apart and its rear end is shot. So for $1000 I can have my car back in pieces? Yet apparently, Ford does not acknowledge this as a defect. I even found some lawyers in NJ who seem to be putting together a class action suit against Ford. I might have to get in touch with them if this doesn't get worked out soon. They just don't call us back when they don't want to deal with us.

Thank goodness I have the Honda. Oh! But in my car search, that one turned up as the car with the single most complaints against it! Even more than the Ford Explorer, which is apparently the worst car you can buy. The 2008 Honda Accord has been dubbed the only car in history to have the rear brakes fail before the front. Mine haven't failed yet. That I know of. But they sure do squeal a lot for a one year old car.

In other news, a letter arrived for Brian from his high school. It contained his four book reading list for the summer as well as his first assignment, which is to read a booklet (provided) on the life and times of the school's patron saint, and then to summarize the entire context in 400-600 words, typed, double-spaced, and submitted to the principal by August 1!! I think I like this school. I wonder if Brian will?! And tonight is the senior prom, which E is attending. I am waiting for her to call for a ride to her date's house to take pictures (wrong as that sounds -- a ride to her date's house --?). Oh, and funny thing. Megan found out today that he school named its new principal: her honors chemistry teacher! The one who writes the most impossible tests and is the hardest teacher anyone has ever heard of. I think he will make a good principal, although I'm sorry he didn't get the job a year earlier! ;-)

No comments: