Monday, May 4, 2009

just a quick update...

as if I am capable of such a thing. But to try: the trip to the Phillies game obviously ended in a non-event as far as that went (rainout), so we made a brief stop at Cherry Hill Mall and followed that up with a nice lunch with the old folks. I got the call while we were still in Philadelphia that the teacher's father did not make it after all, so I have been assigned to that class for the entire week.

This is good news, but exhausting, circumstances aside, of course. And the fact that the first kid who saw me heaved a huge sigh and burst into tears didn't help so much. (I am going to assume that this is due to his extreme attachment to routine and to his beloved teacher rather than actual aversion to my presence).

As for swine flu, still no cases that I have heard of, although E did turn red the other night and she coughs occasionally, and Megan sniffles and I just heard Brian cough twice upstairs. But I stand by my recent theory that if the bug is going to make a comeback in a more virulent form in the fall, those who get it over with now and recover fully might actually be the lucky ones! Or so they say, on this site: http://doihaveswineflu.org/.

And in other news, Brian took the placement test for Spanish in high school today. He felt that he did reasonably well, but they sent a note home with them saying no student will be placed higher than level 2. Megan started in level 3 in 9th grade at the public school. Level 2 is fine for Brian, as I have said, I don't even care if they put him in Spanish 1. Although my sense is that he'll probably be put in Spanish 2 non-honors. But we'll find out soon enough. I don't know if they notify them by mail or if we have to wait until he gets his classes. Otherwise, nothing much else, just a leak from our shower down into our kitchen, and now a resultant silver-dollar-sized hole in our kitchen ceiling; and this afternoon after school, E made herself a nice chicken salad sandwich and foolishly left it, only to return to find no sandwich, just a dog, who licked her lips. And now Megan and Kevin have returned.

No comments: