Sunday, December 9, 2007

Whine Whine...Wine?

So I guess the thing is that my head is always going to hurt. I went out and bought some sudafed yesterday and had to show my drivers license. I couldn't even remember if it's that I can make bombs or street drugs, and I had to fill out all my information on a spiral notebook of forms. Now I see it's crystal meth. If nothing else, maybe when the sudafed doesn't cure my congestion, I can make that; and then I won't really care if my head hurts or not. And then I found I actually had some sudafed from years ago, actually bought without the federal government knowing about it.

So I spent the entire night sleeping with a wet washcloth on my head or neck, and then I awoke in a daze. It was already after 8, and I had to get up to be a greeter at church. So, they have five ushers and three greeters. It's a wonder people don't just turn and run in a panic to one of the other churches down the street. And you have five people all trying to give you bulletins, whose do you take? Although I may have been mistaken in trying to hand them out. Perhaps it is not the job of the greeter to give out the bulletins. I wouldn't know, because I never received the packet with the information.

Today I have been abandoned. Everyone has left me, either for the NY Jets or for the mall. On my home I picked up the makings of meatballs and sauce, and an $80 Christmas tree. I remember when we spent $40 and dragged the thing up the stairs in Queens. That was a lot to spend. Now, $80 without a second thought. At least I had the sense not to buy the Noble Fir at $110. Not that I didn't consider it. That tree had a beautiful shape.

Since I am abandoned, I had to get the tree in the house by myself. I had to get it off the roof of the Explorer, and then haul it up the five or so steps. This might sound not so bad, but each time I tried to put weight on the bad knee, it threatened to render me immobile again. I had to do this in plain view of anyone who might be passing by. There was a young guy in army fatigues across the street. Vanity stopped me from going across the street and saying, you look like a good citizen. Wanna carry a Christmas tree?

But I got the tree in the house, and in the stand! I even had to cut about 8 inches off the tip to keep it from bending over. In our old house we had a cathedral ceiling. I forget that in this new, giant house, I am limited in my choice of tree.

So, here I sit, with bags of meats and pasta waiting to be cooked. The sudafed is helping, but I am waiting for the advil to kick in. It's already 2:23 and I need several hours to simmer the sauce. Megan should be home soon, but then she will complain that there is no food. This being the week before Holiday Classic, she will have to be well fed and rested, and I will have to be nice to her. I am still awaiting a return email from her high school coach. I finally just emailed him and explained her quandary, that she thought a time warp would occur and the conflicts between high school and club swimming would resolve themselves. This week will show how that plays out.

Finally, there is Puff. She seems to be peeing around the house. I locked her in the bathroom with a litterbox until she finally dumped her little pearls in there. The vet called and it's all clear. As soon as she stops flirting with the uninterested hermaphrodite boys in our house, she's in for her surgery. I really wanted to wait until after Christmas, but this is just ridiculous. I don't know how cats stand it. Six months old and in her third heat cycle already? People who don't spay their cats must be out of their minds.

Well, that about winds it up for me. The whines and the other whines. The problem is, I am absolutely terrified to have my wine while I'm on the sudafed! I mean, I really don't know, but what if that is the other ingredient for the methampethamine? It could be. Or maybe that would not be so bad. I'm off to the kitchen.

No comments: