Thursday, December 27, 2007

It's a ... Dead Bird??

So the other day, a flock of birds fell from the sky onto Staten Island sidewalks. They were just flying along, and then they died. It was like a scene from a movie, the onlookers all said. But, it's ok. Probably just something they ate, or some pesticide. No need to worry that the same thing happened in Austin, Texas, and also in Australia a year or so ago. I guess those two locales have not experienced any major disruption, unless you were one of the birds, so why be worried. Of course, it's all upwind of New Jersey. Isn't it?

We survived our holiday visit and I managed to keep my less-than-gracious hostess-ness to a minimum (I think). I only barked a few times when my car was blocked in, or coffee and cookies were spilled on the floor, or... oh it's over with now, why dwell on it?

Christmas was very nice, although the Monster-in-Law played a few of her usual tricks, causing me to be the less-than-gracious daughter-in-law she knows so well. She was fairly grumpy by the end of the evening, but if you ask me, that was unjustified. She was the one who got to stretch out her legs in the front seat, recline her chair, and talk to her heart's content about everyone who has died, will soon die, and have lost all their money playing naked Twister. So what if we didn't all come in and pet her dog? Ok, so what if we didn't even want to roll down our windows to say goodbye...

Today was the day for the big swim team training trip departure. After practice, everyone loaded into vans and SUVs for the two hour drive up to the practice pools and the hotel. By dinnertime, Megan was not feeling well. Fingers are crossed. I hope she can feel better. We found out that the hosts of our party from the other night all came down with a stomach bug the very next day. Yikes. Luckily the poor chaperone is also a nurse. She gave Megan all sorts of various remedies. Hopefully, all are sleeping soundly now.

That is my main gripe. Also, the cat pee. The cat pee is popping up everywhere, and Puff. Is. In. Heat. Again. I made her appointment. She is being spayed on January 8. I can hardly wait, except that will mean it is almost my birthday; and I still won't have gotten a haircut. I forgot to cancel my appointment (another swim meet coming up), but I must. And I almost forgot to take the dog for her bath this morning. When I went to pick her up, I didn't even recognize her. Her face has gone so white that she looks like a blonde golden.

The other day, I was walking around and heard a flock of birds. I held my breath, but they kept on going. So I guess life goes on in New Jersey for now.

No comments: