Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My Head Hurts

No sub calls today. I had the day off.

I decided to start it off with a swim. That actually went pretty well, I had a lane all to myself for the whole 25 minutes that it takes me to swim a measly 40 laps these days. On the way out, I noticed that they had a "giving tree" set up at the Y. I studied the remaining tags and chose two little girls. One only wanted Bratz dolls, but the other was very specific: a monopoly game, a hooded sweatshirt, and Nike sneakers. Woah! Anyway, my credit card was reset to $0 as of today, so why not.

(Sure, it's only ONE credit card that's at $0, the others are probably considerably more, but I hope to have them all paid down by the time I stop getting paychecks again in June!)

But by now my head was really hurting. Some online Bratz shopping hadn't helped what the 40 laps had somehow started. Maybe it was the leaky goggles. I had to take some advil and lie down for an hour. I watched How Clean is Your House and You Are What You Eat. Who in the world signs up for those shows? All I would need would be for my mold and dust to be filmed for national television. And then to have to keep the house clean until the "surprise visit" from the British ladies who helped clean it in the first place.

Eventually I managed to drag myself up and shower. I went out into the snow and searched high and low for Nike sneakers and a hoodie sweatshirt, which I finally did find. The little girls should be very happy.

Afterwards, I faced the true source of my headache: church. They are requiring that Megan must satisfy one requirement for her confirmation in April. She must either attend a retreat on the day of her high school regional championship meet, or she must fast for 30 hours over President's weekend. This is in addition to the four hour meetings once a month + homework. I can feel the holy spirit fading from her person as I type this. If you may not worship any God but the true God, then I am afraid we will have to count her out. Her god? Her swim team coach.

Although, that is not entirelly true, because she will not even be swimming for him on the day of the retreat. Will God really close her out of heaven because she went to the conference meet? That doesn't really seem fair, when she is usually very nice to everyone, and she even serves at church when she can be there. Does her very salvation ride on her refusing herself food during the peak training period for her championship swim season? How scary is that?! Whatever happened to "God is Good! All the Time!"

And did God say she had to do these things? Was it through His wishes that the schedules were made up for these events? Don't the homeless people have to be fed every day? Why, then, is it that she must be there on February 9th?

In fact, she is at swimming now. She should be back soon, but one never knows. It's her day off from swimming, so she was able to go to the high school practice. The first meet is tomorrow, but the parents can't attend. They're holding it under top security. Ah, the folly.

No comments: