Tuesday, April 27, 2010

slacking

Well, I do apologize. Being busy with working and the Doll and this blasted beast, I have neglected the blog. I'm home today, as luck would have it, and I have decided to update after all. So to bring things up to date, this will be my last week in my present position. I'm sad mainly because I've been upped to a great daily rate and it even pains me to have to miss today! (My boy was not going to be in school today so there's no need for me to go.) I do have the job lined up, or thought I did, but today I got an email from the agency. A few days ago they asked what my preferences were and I said three five hour days would be best but I would also consider four shorter ones. However, I am trying to keep a day or two open to still sub in case this one doesn't work out.

I didn't hear back till this morning and I didn't much care for the response. They asked about my flexibility to work afternoons so they can have me share the job with someone else who is going to work mornings. I'm getting a little bit uneasy now, because for one thing, that sounds like I'll never be able to grow to more hours. This other person works 1-5 at another job and is looking for a morning-only one so she won't have to give up her other one. :/ I don't have this kind of set-in-stone constraint but I do have people who will wonder where I am, and where is their dinner, if I have to drive home from this office at 5pm. Having the mornings free doesn't help me. I'll waste the time. I need free afternoons or I might as well have a full time job! And for the lowly rate of pay, I just don't know if it's worth it, sorry to say.

So she was going to speak to him again and see what he said. I suppose I could do it, and as I told her, I'd do two or three afternoons, but no way five. And I can also have more flexibility in the summer, when there is no school. I guess I just feel a little blind-sided by the request. Here I thought I was in for days, and they want me to do afternoons. I have to admit I'm a little unsure if I want to be involved in job-sharing. I'm kind of particular about the way I do things. :-(

Anyway, as far as the Doll goes, she came home yesterday. I picked up her stomach medicine and then drove her home. She said she felt ill and had had a terrible day. Apparently this is to be expected so they were not too sympathetic. I just don't know. She seems to have had more bad days than good for the past few years! Between the back episodes, and then the passing out, and now the stomach ... all I know is this dog better be welcomed back into his home and soon!

Megan is back from her trip to DC and they had a very nice time although she flew into an evil frenzy when she realized how much work she had to do while she was exhausted last night. And today we have the foot doctor and then she's getting back in the pool for the first time in two weeks. Tomorrow she has the SAT tutor and probably a swim obligation which I may force her to miss, to catch up on homework. I'm not sure, but he might be starting the afternoon beach training.

As for Brian, he has not failed anything in school THAT WE KNOW OF but progress reports will be issued soon. Some tests seem to be taking longer than they should to be returned, and a few of his teachers have been absent. In his school they don't use subs. Other teachers step up and proctor the class while the students just catch up on other work. So a day without a teacher is a missed day of instruction in that subject.

And in other news, Brian was confirmed on Sunday! So marks the end of the long years of preparation and requirements. I wonder if he will go to church ever again? Although we will all go as often as we can this month. Our rector's last day will be the last weekend of May! We are also gearing up for the baseball game this Saturday, after Megan retakes the SAT. Hopefully it will be better weather than last year when the game was rained out and rescheduled for a school night in September!

No comments: