Sunday, April 11, 2010

just a blog before I go

Well, it's time to head home. I didn't update all week, sorry for that. It's been quite a week of extreme highs and lows. One of the swimmers got off of the plane on Sunday feeling fine. By 11:30 he was too sick to pick his head up off the pillow, puking for two days. We all held our breath but by Saturday, we had all but forgotten the threat.

We headed over to the meet as usual, only to find that two swimmers, a girl who had made the top 16 with Megan the night before and a boy who was the second seed in one of that day's events, were throwing up back at the hotel. One of the other girls swam her best time in breaststroke, went into the bathroom and threw up, swam in the relay again, helping them break a team record, and threw up again. The coach was seen puking in a trash can. And then when we went back for finals, Megan ran straight from her first All-American awards ceremony for the bathroom.

And we went out to dinner! One reason to be grateful that the team takes care of the kids. ;-) And this year, two coaches, a husband and wife, left early. They flew home the night before all of this happened. Of course, they were around it too, hope they are OK!

But that was the bad, humorous as it will probably be in a few days. Here is the good: Megan swam great. She could have done better in a few swims, but she swam best times in every event she swam. A great time in the 200 free that brought her back in the unofficial heat at finals, even if she failed to top the time that night. And it was a team record. She swam on three team-record-breaking relays, one of which made it back and ended up coming in 15th, which got them an award.

Just before falling to the stomach bug, she swam a personal best relay split in the 100 free. And even when she didn't slash time in her events, she still swam them in best times in the 100 free and 500 free. So it was a successful meet and I am just hoping her stomach is settled enough for travel this afternoon!

Brian had a decent time, there were some boys in the hotel for him to romp with, but they won't be back next year so he will have to come up with something to do instead. Next year is going to be tough anyway because he will have to miss school to come. This year was lucky for him, because they were on break for two weeks. Megan missed five days of school, and if she's too weak to go tomorrow, I may have to let her stay home, even though I was planning to send her.

And Kevin worked as an official all four days of the meet, and two of the nights. So he got a couple of fancy shirts and a new hat and patch.

But now I must climb in the shower so I can pack my final items and head downstairs to find a taxi. Our flight leaves at 10, and I am looking forward to being home. I have to get Molly, because of course the Doll's dog walker fell through. Last I heard things had been OK - Molly did have diarrhea, but she had managed to get outside. It was probably just upset from being taken away from her home again. I can't get Wilbur till tomorrow, and I hope the house wasn't too hot for the cats.

And in other news, it's back to the terror of my long term position tomorrow. This week of not going has made me realize how tough that job really is! Sometime this week I am supposed to have an interview for a part-time job. It's through the agency, working for an insurance agent. It's temporary to start so we'll see. It doesn't sound terribly exciting, and it's about 20-30 minutes away. But then again, so is the school where I have been - at least 15-20 minutes. I'll see when I make the drive just how long it really takes. Off to the showers!

No comments: