Wednesday, April 28, 2010

morning update

Well, very quickly I will post a status report.

Baxter has gone home, and the Doll continues her slow recovery. She is very worried that she won't be well enough to attend Grandparents Day at Brian's school on Sunday and I keep reassuring her that he will be fine if she can't make it. I know she wants to go herself but I think she is more concerned that she's letting him down, since she already missed his confirmation. I don't have the heart to tell her that he'd prefer to be strung up by his toenails than attend this function at all, so I just wait to see what will happen.

I am preparing to return to the grind this morning, for my last three days in this job. I am happy to have missed the day of gym class, since it tends to bring out the most obstinate character of my child. So I have no idea what frame of mind or types of behaviors I can expect from him today, knowing his time at the school is drawing to a close.

As for the job, they came back and asked me to do 1 to 4 or 4:30 or 5 three days and then one morning. I assume these would all be 3-4 hour days and would tie me up so I couldn't do anything. I'm also not crazy about the prospect of job sharing, as I told them initially that I could take on more hours as time went by. But to not start work till 1? And not be home when Brian gets home yet have the entire morning free, when I could be working in the morning somewhere instead? As I thought it through and also felt bait-and-switched with the whole thing, I emailed the agency and told her the afternoons were a no-go.

And I am trading phone calls with the woman about the other job, which sounds like a better prospect to me at this point, so hopefully I can catch up with her today and set something up, maybe for tomorrow. I hope.

Or I am just destined to be a lady of leisure, as the fates seem to be trying to show.

Well it is 8 and I must be letting dogs out and throwing my lunch together quickly. A local road closure that's been in effect for a month has caused more traffic to crop up on the other route I can take (the closed road was my favorite route) so I allow extra time in the mornings to get to the school.

But in other news, this will be a crazy afternoon of driving. Megan has SAT class, Brian has a Spanish Club dinner, then she thinks she wants to go to swimming but I have to assess her homework situation, and he has his tutor coming at 7. He got his lab back, the first one she helped him with. Everything they did was 100% right but he still got a 70, because he is Brian. He forgot to take it in on the day it was due (-10), and was somehow unaware that they were also supposed to diagram a fish's innards (-20). But he got a 94 on the test. :/ We tread on eggshells.

No comments: