Sunday, December 21, 2008

Where are you Christmas? Why Can't I Find You?

Every year Christmas gets harder. I feel more like a scrooge every year and I don't know why! Maybe it's the substitute teaching. Right at the time when most people are taking days off to shop and get ready, I am getting called in. Not that I can complain, of course I am glad to have seemingly gotten into the good graces of the new sub caller so quickly. I am working in the morning tomorrow and a half day on Tuesday, which is the last day before the break.

But it's the outside lights, and the decorations, and the shopping - the stores are so crowded!, and everyone wants some money and I feel badly choosing one over another so I try to do as much as I possibly can. I do the giving trees at the Y, and you just never know if the kids liked what they got, the presents might as well have been tossed into the river for all the feedback you get. I don't even know how to know if they legitimately reached their destination.

Then of course there are the garbage men, the newspaper delivery woman, and the cleaning lady. And what about the mailman? You're not supposed to give him anything, but how do you NOT? Anyway, the cleaning lady is coming tomorrow, so that is my first priority right now.

Yesterday we spent the day up in Madison at Brian's meet. The parking situation was awful and the meet was poorly run. We didn't get home until 8, and Megan's friends had left without her for a party she wanted to go to. She had to wait two hours for us to get home to take her. And E's friends had completely forsaken her, but it worked out OK because she stayed in and finished a school project.

Today I am trying to get caught up on laundry, and Brian has a friend over. I am distraught because when I heard him speak, I heard a deep voice! I asked if he was sick, but I don't actually think that's it. I guess it is about time, he was 14 a few weeks ago, but still! He's been Brian's friend since first grade! I can't stand it!

In other news, I am trying to wrap up wrapping, preparations and food shopping for the onslaught of the holiday festivities. This coming week will be hectic, as it turns out, James flies in quite late on Tuesday night, Kevin has to work on Wednesday, and the Doll suggested he pick James up at the airport. This is impossible as we welcome the cousins earlier that day and are invited to a party that evening, but he did agree to pick James up at the shuttle drop at midnight. (!) George?

disclaimer: post not proofread

No comments: