Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The No Power Hour

We lost all our power for over an hour last night! It was weird, we were sitting around and the lights dimmed but came back, then a minute later all went black. E got a text that power was out in the next town to the north, and then Megan texted that they were outside the Y in the next town south. That was huge. It was scary to not know why this was happening, Kevin was on the bus but didn't find anything out either. I put the car radio on because I couldn't find D batteries, but the announcer was just mocking the situation, saying "flesh will become food; homes will become caves; it's neighbor vs. neighbor with a baseball bat" so that wasn't much help. Anyway, then my battery abruptly died and we lost even that.

Eventually we learned that it was just a fire at a huge transformer that caused all the little stations to trip. Ours came back on just as we were pondering the setup of the generator. I took out the chicken I had been planning to cook and found that one of the packs smelled rancid. I had four good pieces, so I cut them up and we all had a smaller portion of food. This morning all is right in the world, except that Megan's practice got cancelled, and rescheduled for tonight, when she won't be able to go. She has to be at school for Spanish Honor Society. We emailed the coach twice last night but haven't heard back. The timing just stinks.

I had to turn down a job for today! I have to get Brian to school now, start a crock pot roast, take Molly for her bath, get the house ready for the cleaner tomorrow, and then pick up Brian at school to get him to the PT evaluation by 3. And somehow find out what time Megan can get to the Y and swim, hopefully before the induction ceremony, since we don't know what time she will get out, but it could be as late as 9.

I have work tomorrow, not the job I thought, I guess she hadn't called it in yet, but at least I have work. Then there will be Friday, when we head up to the big meet. But more to follow on that after the weekend.

In other news, big rain is in the forecast for today. It's already warm like a spring day, and they said it could get up to 70! That will make it hard for me to stay focused. I have so much clutter to get rid of, and I know I will be very easily distracted after being on my feet in uncomfortable shoes all day yesterday. Brian is stalking me to take him to the bus now, so I will cut this short without proofing. Disclaimer.

No comments: