Friday, December 19, 2008

Stupidity Reigns Supreme

I am stupid. I have always known it, but sometimes my stupidity amazes even me. I wrote before about the cat puke on the xmas card debacle, and how it cost me dearly because I was no longer able to just consolidate my list and send the cards I had to only the important people. Well, as I was straightening up the kitchen, I discovered what I had seen but not registered the other day: the OTHER pack of envelopes. Yes, folks that is correct. I had only addressed half the envelopes before I threw up my hands in despair at my perceived shortfall.

So now I will have 25 cards arriving today (weather permitting) and an additional bunch at home. I did have to cull quite a few because of the puking, but most were salvageable. Yet another expensive lesson on the pitfalls of disorganization.

Anyway, last night I took Brian to a meeting of a local chiari support group. I had met the guy who runs it through a posting I saw online for a fund raising walk back in the fall. I happened to be down there at the start of it, picking Megan up from her beach swim training. I introduced myself and we have become Facebook friends, and I was included in the group. I hesitated to take Brian, because the topics they discuss really don't apply to him: pain, medication, degeneration, etc. We hope that they never will, but at this point I like to be armed with all the information; in case I ever have to make decisions, I want to have all the facts ahead of time, unlike the initial period of diagnosis.

So it was interesting, we sat there for about an hour listening to people talk, all but one were adults and had lots of issues with pain, instability, and doctors who just can't help them anymore. The other child was recently operated on and is doing better but still having some problems. I thought I had made a mistake in bringing Brian, a couple of people were in wheelchairs, and one had a cane. But on the way home, he said that he had learned from it, and he wanted to know some more details about his own condition, such as which vertebrae were involved. I guess he never pays attention when we study the MRIs or when we looked at the model skeleton. So I guess it was a good thing for him after all, and he would like to go back. I think I'll choose selectively, depending on the topic. Obviously kids are going to have different issues than adults.

The 'storm' has just begun. At first it was sleet and ice was sticking to the deck. Now it sounds pretty heavy, like rain. I have to work this afternoon, I wish it had been morning because I start later than my kids go in, but when I work afternoons, they get out before I do and have to get home from the bus stop. It isn't far, just a quarter mile, but I worry when the roads are slippery. They usually manage to find rides, but I don't like them being moochers, as it seems I work more days than not lately. I told them if they want they can stay at school the extra 30-45 minutes and I will get them on my way home. I don't know if we'll get any snow, we're still in the line between snow and rain. The heavy snow is north of us. But slush can be even worse to drive in, while it's coming down.

Anyway, that's about it. In other news, tomorrow Brian has physical therapy in the morning, which he is thoroughly enjoying, I wish I had thought of this years ago. It will be interesting to see if it helps him with strength and flexibility. The balance might be a little more difficult, but as they said, the brain is very good at adapting and learning new tricks, so perhaps they can help him, even if it won't turn him into a big-time sk8r dude. Cats continue to ransack the tree and drink all of its water, which I just try not to think about while I hear the lapping come from under the tree. As I write this, Rusty is working on pulling an ornament off, working from underneath the branches. I also just hung the stockings, I bought one for E but don't have glitter to put her name on it, so I had been putting it off. I finally just gave up and hung them. It was time.

No comments: