Sunday, December 7, 2008

Blog Neglect

Well, I guess I have been neglecting the blog. Things haven't been too exciting, which I suppose is a good thing. School for the kids, work for Kevin, and infrequent and last minute work days for me with this yet another new sub caller. This one has only sent me twice (albeit in one week but they were only half days) to a school that I have been to only three times in seven years, now I have been there three times in a couple of weeks and I miss my old school and the familiarity. I feel like I just take up space at this other one, teachers don't leave me with anything of substance to do, as a sub, and I end up babysitting a bunch of kids who don't always behave.

Swimming chugs along, we're getting ready for the big meet in the special suit on Friday. Megan's cold, or whatever it is, is creeping back day by day, and I'm just hoping it's a new one that will pass by the weekend and not the sinus infection rearing its head again because it wasn't treated long enough the first time. If she is worse by Tuesday I'll take her back in, that's the day the regular doctor is in the office, I think.

Someone mentioned Brian's hand tremor to me the other day and I was particularly sensitive because it was the five year anniversary of that first visit to the neurologist, where we found out that he was going to be tested for strange and mysterious ailments of the brain and spinal cord. So I stopped in at a local physical therapy place to inquire about helping him build some upper body strength, scheduled an evaluation for Wednesday, and later found that insurance will cover him for unlimited sessions, as long as they 'precert' after every five visits. So he's going to to have that done, and hopefully this can help him to put on some muscle. The swimming has helped him a lot with his legs and overall endurance, but he still needs something more for strength and flexibility, and I can't let him lift weights at a gym. His pediatrician wrote out a script for him, so I don't even have to bother the neurologist in between regular visits.

E has stuck with basketball so far, and they had their first scrimmage yesterday, so we went to watch. She has missed a few practices, so she wasn't put in the game for a while, and just as she was about to go in, the ref got involved and we realized she wasn't allowed to go on the court with this little fabric wristband that she never takes off! I knew she would never cut if off to play for 2 minutes in a JV scrimmage, and she sat back down. They have to find some creative way to cover it up in future games. It's her link to home right now, and I'm sure she won't cut it off, which is the only way it can be removed.

In other news, we went to another exchange student party last night, so that was interesting. There were quite a few that we hadn't met before, and their siblings as well. But we got there late, a couple left early, and then it started to snow and we had to leave before the roads got really scary. But we made it home. Also yesterday, we went and had the tree cut down that we had picked out last Sunday in the rain. So that's on the deck now, covered in snow. I don't know when we'll bring it in. Next weekend is going to be hectic with the swim meet. Finally, our school football team lost by one touchdown, even by an interception, in the state finals last night. But it was good for them that they made it there. The other team was 10-0, and they did give it a good run. They have a ways to go to make it back to what they were three or four years ago when they had a bunch of headliner superstars. Maybe next year.

No comments: