Sunday, November 23, 2008

Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon

Well, now that I have finished Twilight, I'm anxious to see the movie, although I don't expect it to compare to what I would hope after reading the book. It's hard to portray perfection as 'Edward' is described.

However, after the (imaginary) blood and gore in last night's rendition of Sweeney Todd, I'm ready to wait on seeing anything that might be even remotely disarming. Instead, I have started reading the second book in the series, New Moon. Equally riveting so far.

Yesterday turned out to be "one of those days" at first. I had a terrible headache, then realized I hadn't eaten lunch and it was 2pm. I asked too late if anyone wanted to come with me to the craft fair at the middle school, and E took quite a while to get ready so I thought we would be rushed, Megan and I, as Megan had to be at school for the bus to try-outs at 1pm. But with my pounding head, I didn't really mind only having a little time, the place was so crowded, and despite an established ban, I passed three baby strollers, as well as a woman in a motorized scooter, and another woman who had what appeared to be some sort of shopping cart to tote around her purchases.

Really too much for me even on a good day, so I burned through about $50 and got out of there. I bought a sign for house with the house number on it; I am tired of watching people drive around in circles because they don't see the painted numbers on the curb or the lighted sign by the lamppost. Even the fire department couldn't find the right house when they accidentally were called after our smoke detector went off; and it doesn't help that the address is wrong in MapQuest and GPS systems. The only place I've ever seen it right is the township tax map - speaking of which, we got our revaluation letter yesterday. The value about doubled. But no mention of the "new" tax rate - there had better be one!

But it was hurry up and wait. Megan and I arrived at the school only to find the doors locked and all the swimmers waiting in the parking lot in cars for a bus that never showed up. So in the end, she missed her Y meet for nothing. But I suppose that was for the best, because if I had tried to have her do both, if she didn't have this cough (which is improving, I think) I would have driven up to Ridgewood, a minimum of an hour away, and taken her early directly to Asbury Park, only to find that no team had shown up. I just hope they're getting credit for showing up, because they have to attend those mandatory six practices.

After that things got a little better. I ate and took advil, and my head pain subsided. I took Megan and E to the mall, so E could return an ill-chosen Halloween dress and search for that elusive perfect winter coat, and then we had dinner and went to the play. This morning we took it easy, dropped off Brian at church school but picked him up afterwards, skipping the service so I could hit the grocery store before the pre-Thanksgiving crowds hit. Megan had her usual 6:30am practice, but she came home and fell asleep after her shower. Now Kevin has taken her up to order her LAZR suit! She wore one at practice the other night and said it felt very strange. Let's see if it has any effect on her times at the meet in three weeks.

In other news, Brian has a friend coming over (thought he would have been here by now, though) and E has gone up to start some homework. I am doing a little laundry and babysitting some simmering tomato sauce with meatballs and sausages. Kevin is going to stop by the Doll's and hang some curtains for her, on his way back from ordering the suit, and Puff is sitting behind me, enjoying a brief moment of quiet. This is obviously a short week coming up, and I have no work yet although I was asked to work both Tuesday and Wednesday. But as always, I believe it when I get that call from the sub caller, whoever she may be this week. And Friday is the homecoming dance at the high school. E has a date for it, but Megan most likely does not; she'll go with her girlfriends, I assume, in a red dress.

No comments: