Friday, July 18, 2008

T.G.I.F.

Well, the end is in sight. This whole experience has been both rewarding and exhausting, and, at times, exasperating. I will say that C is well behaved. He never complains, and he usually does what we ask of him. If he doesn't, it's usually typical boy things, like telling him to change his pants for bed and he doesn't do it. But although I think he has had a lot of fun, I think he is also ready to go back to his family. He called them twice yesterday, although I think he only got to speak to them once.

He came to the swim meet again last night and watched the whole thing. Either he is incredibly patient, or he really found it interesting. He behaves himself very well under circumstances like those. Better than Brian ever did when I dragged him to the ones he wasn't swimming in!

In fact, he is still asleep today, and it is nearly noon. He went to bed before ten last night, but I had woken him up at 8. Maybe this sleep is a coping mechanism, so he doesn't have to deal with homesickness for a while longer. He'll need the rest, though, if he is to do the beach sleepover tonight! I am making Kevin stay with them, so they'll camp out in the tent, and come home in the morning. They have to clear the beach by 8am; so he should go to bed early again tomorrow!

The exasperation comes, still, from the lack of communication. I do see him talking a lot to boys, and I know when he is alone with Brian, he talks a lot more. Megan got frustrated because yesterday she played a whole game of pool with him and he never said a word. Again, he relates better to boys his own age and younger.

So tomorrow morning they will be tired, maybe I'll take them to an early movie, then have dinner at home. On Sunday, we have the Fresh Air Fund picnic from 2 till 6, then we'll have dinner and help C pack up. Monday morning, bright and early, we head back to the bus. I have to make sure Kevin pays him the $34 he won at the track!

In other news, the electrician is certainly blowing off my calls. That makes me so mad. Why are so many service people like that? I hope the place will still let me return the lights for store credit, now that I have lost over a month waiting for this jerk to get back to me. If he didn't want to do it, I have to wonder why he told me three times that he did. Idiot. At least it saves the $850. Oh, C is up! I hear footsteps. Just in time for me to go get Megan. Then I plan to drag him around to some stores, buying things we will need for tonight when it gets dark at the beach.

No comments: