Sunday, July 13, 2008

Just Another Pleasant Valley Sunday

So it was a late-ish night last night, what with the bad service we had at Bahr's, my favorite restaurant; and then I stayed up to finish my book, until probably 3am. Megan had to be at a swim meet for a 6:30 warm-up, so she and Kevin were gone, and the cats and I settled in for a good Sunday "lie-in". Until, that is, the phone rang at 6am.

It seems that Megan had grown bored of being left in the running truck while Kevin got the coffee and bagels, so she decided to join him in Dunkin Donuts. Safety-minded and well-taught, she locked the door behind her. The door of the running car, with the key in the ignition.

But of course, all's well that ends well, and another family happened to be there at that very same Dunkin donuts, 15 minutes from home, and they took her in time for warm-ups, while Kevin waited by the newspaper box for me to come with a spare key (thank goodness I knew where one was!)

Last I heard she had still not swum, but she was the top seed in both her freestyle events, the 200 and the 400; she was seeded fifth in the 100 back, which used to be her best event before swimming endless laps of freestle took over her life. I am sorry I won't be able to go to watch the races, hopefully Kevin took the video camera up and will capture the moments. Brian and C are still sound asleep, worn out again, I guess, from all the 'Fresh Air'.

We really have been lucky with the weather so far, and the forecast remains pleasant. Tomorrow is not supposed to be nice, but that works perfectly because Brian has to go to the orthodontist in the morning anyway. C can come along, they have a room full of free arcade games for him. Maybe afterwards we can bowl or see a movie. And then, on Tuesday, I plan to bring him to the swim practice down at the beach and see how he does. If he likes, he can swim in the meet that evening. And I still owe them all a trip to the water park - I'll have to coordinate that with weather and swimming.

Last night we were really lucky, we even did see the poor dolphins that are stuck in the rivers. They were swimming around just as happy as they could be. C said he had never seen a dolphin, so I wish they had come closer to our boat, but they were close enough. All the boats were hovering around and looking at them. At one point, they came really close to a group on a jet-ski. Afterwards we went to Bahr's, and C ordered lobster! It was the most expensive thing of any of our dinners, but we figured it's his vacation and his birthday, so we sucked it up and took a picture of him in his plastic bib. He was wearing a sweatshirt I grabbed from Brian's closet, and when I brought it in later, I found the bib all rolled up in its pocket, and also a broken up crab claw. He must not have known what he was supposed to do with them, although he sure knew how he was supposed to eat that lobster!

In other news, we are still thinking of what to do today. It is St. Patrick's Day in July at the race track, and we will get free grandstand admission for wearing green. Also, it seems to be a beautiful beach day. I guess I'll see what happens when the boys wake up. I hate to have to pay the $20 guest fee for the beach club, so I am trying to avoid it for the weekend. I had asked if they'd let C in for half-price, but they agreed so reluctantly that I just paid the whole thing, to avoid controversy.

No comments: