Monday, February 14, 2011

one of those days

I should have known when I dropped my phone while I was putting it in my pocket. Or really before that, when I went to turn left out of the jughandle and there was a giant flatbed truck hauling concrete taking up the space of four cars, so that we couldn't turn out of the jughandle to get on the road. Or when I thought I had lost the keys to the file cabinets and searched for them four times before I found that they had just fallen into some papers.

But I didn't know. And I guess the day got better. It was a beautiful day outside, not that I spent much time in the outdoors, but it was nice to smell it briefly. I ended up taking M back to the dermatologist to have him recheck her and make sure the rash (now a confirmed staph infection) was responding to the antibiotics. He was happy that it was, he didn't even change her to the other one that had shown up as slightly more effective on the sensitivity testing that they did, and said that he thinks the worst is behind her, (I HOPE SO!!!) and that she is no longer contagious.

But she isn't quite out of the woods yet. She still has a special scrub for the shower, antibiotics for the next week or two, as well as topically and in her nose. It's a whole routine. And tonight, she went back to swimming for the first time so I am not happy! She is due back pretty soon and I'm afraid for the first look. Before she was taking the antibiotics, after swimming they would look angrier and redder, and then in the morning, they'd look pale again. But hopefully they're under control now and that won't happen this time.

As for B, the school is pounding him now. He's passing one class, and it's ENGLISH. Go figure. I don't worry too much about math because I always think he will catch up but he isn't doing well with volume formulas. (A few classes have not posted any grades yet. Maybe this will give me something to talk to the neurologist about when we see him on Thursday. Another thing to dwell on for me! The other classes he's floundering in are history and chemistry, but chemistry is by far the worst, because he took a test he was unprepared to take and the result was disaster. It exhausts me to the point where the public school doesn't seem like a bad option despite my concerns, but he is happy where he is, so we'll see. I worry also because I'm planning to take him to Florida when we go, but I can't do that if all of his grades are 68s and below!

But on other hand, M's report card came yesterday - looking good. She's trying to hold her spot in the rankings for graduation.

And in other news, M and I are supposed to head up to Boston for an overnight this weekend, they're having an Accepted Students Day for the College of Health Sciences and she wants to go. The problem is that she's missed so much swimming already, with the staph, but this has been planned for months So we will play that one by ear. I'm still plodding along at work, antagonized by my boss's new habit of coming back to the office or calling in in the 2:27-2:29 range with a list of items he wants done before I leave for the day, which is supposed to be at 2:30. It's really not funny at all anymore.

No comments: